balau is it any good

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by africanmeat, Apr 20, 2011.

1. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

my Friend finish building  a tortilla press from a vary hard wood called BALAU and gave me the the left overs

can i usu it for smoking, is it any good, can you advise me

thanks

ahron

2. Don't know if you can smoke it or not. I would think not because of the oils and resins in it. I don't think you can smoke with teak which is similar. Below I found on the net.

[font=arial, Arial, Helvetica][font=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Balau is a tropical hardwood of the family Dipterocarpaceae. Balau is a very dense tightly grained wood that is heavily laden with rich tropical oils and resins. Balau’s texture is very fine and even. Our Yellow Balau looks very much like teak in color.  Although, very similar in characteristics to Teak, we enjoy working with Balau for its durability, strength, seasoning and mechanical properties. For centuries Balau has been used for shipbuilding, heavy-duty furniture, heavy construction and coveted for it’s excellent strength and weather resistant qualities. [/font][/font]

africanmeat likes this.
  3. justpassingthru

justpassingthru Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Hey ahron,

Welcome to SMF, may I suggest you check out a local's fruit stand, the trees that produce their fruit should be good for smoking, you might ask them if they have any dead branches they could give you.

Here is a link to the plants in your area, the fruit bearing trees should be good for smoking.

http://www.indigro.co.za/html/stock.htm

Have fun and don't forget the Q-view.

Gene