Bad seed !!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beerbelly

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 17, 2009
Last night just as I was getting done eating a hamburger with some jalapeno I felt something small caught between a couple of my back teeth. Thinking nothing about it I went and got me a tooth pick to take care of the problem. This is something that happens all the time to me, no big deal at all. So I reached back into my mouth with the tooth pick and could feel the small piece wedged in there. I put a little pressure on it and started to pry it out--right at that moment the small piece started to slide out--and all of a sudden I felt it give way and I felt like it squished in between my teeth. By the time I pulled the tooth pick out of my mouth , my whole mouth had started going numb. On the end of the pick was a jalapeno seed. Now don't get me wrong, I am a true Chile Head. I eat hot peppers everyday. But this was something that I had never felt before. With in just 3 or 4 minutes my whole head, neck, and throat were totally on fire. It was the hottest feeling that I have ever felt. My eyes got to watering big time. It took about 30 minutes and 10 glasses of milk to finally get the heat down. That was one heck of a hot seed!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

Dang.. that sounds painfull!!
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
Must have been an extra powerful one Beerbelly.. I'm glad you finally got it cooled down.
biggrin.gif

Thats sounds like some of the crazy stuff that happens to me hahah, ouch the seed must have busted open and the juice went right to your gum

IMO milk is the only way to go. But you can do a simple test yourself. Bite a hot pepper and wait a couple of minutes, take a bite of bread, see what happens. I think you will then go to the milk for relief.

Just got this from The Chile Pepper Institute of The New Mexico State University ---

Q. How do you get the burning to stop?
A. The best way to ease the burning sensation is to drink milk, or eat any dairy product.A substance found in dairy products known as casein helps to disrupt the burningsensation. If you get the oil on your skin you may want to rub it with rubbing alcoholfirst then soak in milk, this seems to alleviate the burning. If you get capsaicinoids inyour eyes the only thing you can do is repeatedly rinse with water.

Both dairy products and anything that is sweet with sugar in it like the honey mentioned will counteract the burn.

The Scoville scale that is a quatative measure of how hot, spicey or pungent a food is is actually a measure of how much sugar it takes to counteract the capsaicin (the stuff that burns) present in it.

Putting a pat of butter on a teaspoon full of sugar then washing it down with a glass of milk should put out just about any chili pepper fire but you're still gonna suffer the next day. I don't know what to do about that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky