Bad luck on Amazin pellets again.

Discussion in 'Info and Practices' started by dave17a, Jan 1, 2016.

1. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

Must be on the bad luck list. Been having problems staying lit. Tod sent me some free cause griped, they would not stay lit.. Just bought 10 lbs. of pmc. Fought and fought with forced air, no luck. Roasted at 200* for half hour spread out on cookie sheet, enough for a tray in AMNPS. Going on for bout a year. Shouldn't have to babysit, never been a problem before this. Atmosphere is dry. Good enough for nose bleed. GOT TO PUT FAN IN SMOKER and burn, but don't know how many hrs. I got.Used to burn with slightest of wind. Wellllll, done venting, just wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same.

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Wet, Dry, Hot, Cold, never had a problem that 90 sec in the microwave couldn't fix. It will be 5 years in Feb. since I started using the AMNPS inside my MES40. I really have no idea why you are having so much trouble...JJ

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  3. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

I dont get it man. Got fan in smoker now for bout20 lbs. or so

4. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Seems all smokers are different:

I have AMNS & AMNPS, and never had a problem.

All I do is put the pellets in air tight jugs as soon as I get them from Todd.

Never Nuked them, don't pull out chip dumper or chip drawer, no Mailbox, No Fan, no nothing.

Same results with my 5 year old Gwn #1 and my Gen #2.5 (Both MES 40 with windows).

Only time any went out was when I didn't use to get them lit properly to begin with.

Bear

5. mr t 59874

mr t 59874 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I'll throw my 2 cents in.  I found that my AMNPS works much better if raised two or three inches above any flat surface. This allows good airflow beneath the tray.  I use an aluminum soap drain but, anything with holes in it will work.  You could also put small 2 or 3 inch long bolts in the corners also.

You also want good airflow through the smoker.

T

6. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

Setting up on an iron box for putting wood to smoke in.Bout  4x6x2. Maybe not enough flow, but who knows, like I said never a problem before.   Thanks Mr. T. Its smoking like a banchi at this moment

7. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

Oven not nuke. Never had problems before.

8. mr t 59874

[​IMG]

T

9. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hey Dave......   In order to dry out the pellets, the temperature MUST be above the boiling point of water.....   which is 212 deg. F.....   Dry them at 275 deg. F for 2 hours...   Don't skimp on the temp or the time...

10. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

Ill do that Dave Thanks. Dave.

11. jeff 1

jeff 1 Smoke Blower

Is the perforation on your tray cleaned well also? I know I got to clean mine really well sometime especially if I've used dust. What type smoker? This time of year when the temp starts to drop and the sun goes down and things get still it can suffocate my cold smokes. The smoke will fall out of the stack to the ground to the point that it won't come out anymore. Also I'm in Oklahoma and I know that we have had a ton of rain and so has Missouri.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  12. mr t 59874

Yes keep your tray clean.  If you are getting buildup on your tray, it is a indication that it is not burning hot enough.  If the smoke is falling, you need more draft.  Try applying heat to your product chamber until you get a good draft started then add your well started tray.  Insure it is elevated so good airflow surrounds it.  

Look at your smoker as you would a fireplace in your home.  You have a place for the fire, a grate to hold your logs in your case the tray, and a chimney/ the product chamber. It takes heat to get a draft started so the logs get enough oxygen to burn properly. The smoke then travels up the chimney and out.  Apply this principle to your situation, make adjustments and you will be good to go.

T

13. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

Dave and Jeff.  Put in after 275 for 2 hrs. in oven always turn upside down and knock out any clogs and went up one side on AMNPS, and wouldn't turn the corner to next row. Pellets flamed better and thought we were good. went for 10 min or so. Put fan outside blowing through vent, always open at exhaust. Dont know. Done with pellets I spect. Thanks anywho

14. If you absolutely can't get the tray to work for you, you should consider getting a tube from Todd. It burns a lot easier than the tray.

Smoke it up
    William

15. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Are you using a water pan in your smoker ??

16. westby

westby Smoking Fanatic

I've found the tube to work much better than the tray.  It seems to me you don't need as much air flow.

17. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

A lot of guys have issues.  A lot dont.  What smoker you using?

18. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

No water. Put fan in smpker again. Out at turn
    My own little smoke house done right. Gonna do wood and pipe to smoker. Best anywho. Thanks for asking.[​IMG]

19. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

need 12 hrs at a time

20. The 18" tube is almost the same as lighting the tray a both ends. You will get the same amount of smoke as a full tray in half the time.

Smoke it up
    William