Bactoferm- Which to Use

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Motorguy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 7, 2013
Green Valley, Az
For a long time I have used Bactoferm F-LC when making summer sausage. It works well. Somehow, I ordered Bactoferm F-RM-52, or that is what they sent me anyway. Is there a difference? If so, do I use the F-RM-52 for summer sausage or something else? Part 2 of this is I have Bactoferm T-SPX which a recipe called for. Is that interchangeable for summer sausage or snack sticks. Is there a different overnight fermentation temp needed?

Finally, I have a snack stick recipe that calls for LPH Dry. How does that relate to the others above or is it a totally different process? Just confused on the differences and usage as I've normally just gone by my Rytek Kutas book. Thanks for any direction.

The TSPX is a slow starter culture used where a small pH drop is desired... Mediterranean and southern European flavors. pH target is 5.3. Can use dextrose and sucrose.

LHP is a fast culture for semi-dry products like snack sticks, american pepperoni, etc... pH target 4.65-4.8; dextrose.

F-RM-52 is a versatile culture that can be used for slow or fast, depending on temperature. Does not consume sucrose. Must use dextrose.

I just made some pepperoni snack sticks about a month ago and used F-RM-52. I fermented @85*F, then smoked @150*F to 136*F INT. Moved them to dry in my chamber; done in 12 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: chilerelleno
For a long time I have used Bactoferm F-LC when making summer sausage. It works well. Somehow, I ordered Bactoferm F-RM-52, or that is what they sent me anyway. Is there a difference? If so, do I use the F-RM-52 for summer sausage or something else?
I'd go with F-RM-52 for your summer sausage. Just remember that this culture does not consume sucrose very well so use dextrose or fructose. I'd ferment @85*F...

Reactions: chilerelleno
Hi Indaswamp,
Great videos and very helpful. Sounds like the F-RM-52 will work well as I do use Dextrose in my spice mix. The F-LC has worked well in the past and it will be intereresting to see if there is a noticable difference between the 2. Thanks so much for all the information. I'm wondering if the F-RM-52 would work as a substitute for the LHP Dry that this one recipe calls for. I really appreciate your help.
Jeff

What spices do you add? Some like red pepper, paprika, and Calabrian pepper add natural fructose and glucose which can fuel fermentation. Or are you using just table sugar? F-RM-52 will consume sucrose very slowly.

Here is the recipe I was thinking about trying. Still looking for the perfect snack stick, which has eluded me for some time. I have my summer sausage pretty well perfected, but looking for a new challenge...

1 1/2 lb lean beef
1/2 lb pork back fat
4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp insta cure #1
1 1/2 tsp dextrose
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/3 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp mace
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp chipotle powder
4 3/4 tsp nonfat dry milk powder
1/4 cup ice cold water
LHP Dry Starter Culture (1/4 tsp of culture diluted in 2 tbsp of distilled water for every 2 pounds of meat. )
collagen casings (22mm)

Reactions: motocrash
Interesting recipe. I use metric system when making fermented sausages because the percentages are precise with the amount of sugars used.
The dry milk powder will add lactose as a food source.
The red pepper, chipotle, and paprika will add both fructose and glucose in roughly equal amounts.

Paprika- 1g. sugars per 10g, paprika powder
Red pepper- 4.1g sugars per 10g. red pepper powder

chipotle should be close to the red pepper.

I thought it looked like fun to try. The actual original recipe was in grams, but I did a rough conversion just because I'm metrically challenged. I think I'll try the using the T-SPX and see how that works as I don't have the LHP Dry and this is the only recipe I've seen that calls for it. I have F-RM-52 which might work as well, but what the heck....try something new...Thanks for all your input. Always looking to learn..
Best,
Jeff

If you go with TSPX, just know that fermentation to below 5 will take 3 days or longer because it is a slow acting culture. F-RM-52 would be your best choice in my opinion. If you ferment @85-90*F, it will ferment rather fast like LHP.

T-SPX which a recipe called for. Is that interchangeable for summer sausage or snack sticks. Is there a different overnight fermentation temp needed?
That's what I use , because my basement stays in the 65 degree range it needs .
Smoke to internal of 152 . I don't ice bath any more . Let it cool , then wrap in pink paper and in a 36 degree fridge .

Edit ,
I only commented because you said summer sausage and T-SPX . I have experience with that , but the rest I have not used .

Last edited:
Thanks Chopsaw. Being in Arizona, no basement and certainly no ambient house temp of 65. Interesting about not using the ice bath. Any particular reason not to? I've alway brought the IT down to 100 degrees, then let them hang for about 3 hours to "bloom". I've always been told droping the IT quickly in the ice helps the blooming process. Would be great to skip and save the ice.

Reactions: chopsaw
Any particular reason not to?
I do it because I like the shrink . I just did some Bierwurst that I didn't ice bath , and some garlic summer sausage that I did .
By the way , when I saw this thread I had both batches unstuffed in the fridge .
So I figured I'd go ahead and add the T-SPX to the SS and post the effect it has .
Haven't had a chance to post it yet , just smoked it yesterday , but here's a couple pics .
Here it is just after stuffing ,
20211031_123812.jpg
And after over night hang in the basement .
( still raw )
20211101_075531.jpg
You can see the color change .
Had a taste this morning . Man it's good .

+1. I need to watch the clips. I plan to ferment some SS with active buttermilk this fall. Any you guys do that? Not sure for sausage cultures but using different yeasts for beers makes some pretty big differences. Also any pointers of % of dextrose? I am leaning on .5% so a mild tang.

Thanks Chopsaw. Good info and BTW, the sausage looks great! I'll look forward to your report on the T-SPX with SS.

Hi Zwiller,
I have pretty much always used Bactoferm F-CL for my summer sausage and have been very happy with the results. What started me on this thread was I realized my last batch I used F-RM-52 that I hadn't realized I got shipped, or ordered incorrectly. Anyway, then I saw a recipe, posted earlier that called for LPH Dry, which I had never heard of. The culture of Cultures is confusing at best and I wanted to learn from those that know way more than I do.....:emoji_smiley:. Before ordering the LPH Dry, which ain't cheap, I thought perhaps one of the other cultures could be substitued in that particular recipe. Been getting some great info from Chopsaw and Indaswamp!

Reactions: zwiller
Also any pointers of % of dextrose? I am leaning on .5% so a mild tang.
The scale is not linear... by that I mean 0.1% dextrose will not lower the pH by 0.1...
The accepted ratio is 0.62grams dextrose to lower the pH by 0.1 point.

0.3% will lower pH to above 5
0.5-0.7% to below 5
1.0% will lower to 4.5

4.5 or so is as low as the pH will drop before the bacteria are affected and stop producing lactic acid.

Edit to add-
mild tang is in the 4.7-4.85 range. Sharp tang below that....

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky