Bactoferm- Which to Use

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Does the color change confirm fermentation is done? Without a meter, how does one know if you need overnight or 72 hours? Note to self to get clear fibrous casings from now on.

Does the color change confirm fermentation is done?
know if you need overnight or 72 hours?
If I was doing Umai , I would have gone the 72 hours . Since I was doing summer sausage I just went overnight . Len Poli has some SS formulas that use a starter , and he ferments between 12 and up to 24 hours . So I use that as a guide line when I use cure 1 with SS .
The color change is a sign that the culture is working . That's about all I know .
This chub has a really nice tang to it .

Reactions: zwiller
Does the color change confirm fermentation is done? Without a meter, how does one know if you need overnight or 72 hours? Note to self to get clear fibrous casings from now on.
3 changes happen...
1. the meat has formed into a solid mass
2. the sweet smell of fermentation is noticeable
3. the color will change from dullish to reddish/pink

As far as pH, if you are making summer sausage typically a lot of sugar is used, so once you start smoking, fermentation will continue. You should reach target pH.

Reactions: zwiller
I am on day 2 ferment of UMAI sopresseta with t-spx. Smell afar is reduced but up close very much like the active culture was while starting and cheesy for lack of a refined description. VERY impressed. Now I am worried I am getting hooked! :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: indaswamp
No, color change does not confirm fermentation is done, but does indicate that fermentation is occurring. I see you are using t-spx. what temp. are you fermenting at? The degree hours formula will dictate the maximum hours of fermentation at fermentation temperature. If you are using umai bags in a regular refrigerator, fermentation will stop when you place them in the fridge with temps. below 52*F. How much dextrose and/or added sugar did you use?

No, color change does not confirm fermentation is done, but does indicate that fermentation is occurring. I see you are using t-spx. what temp. are you fermenting at? The degree hours formula will dictate the maximum hours of fermentation at fermentation temperature. If you are using umai bags in a regular refrigerator, fermentation will stop when you place them in the fridge with temps. below 52*F. How much dextrose and/or added sugar did you use?
Fermented at ambient basement around 70F. Degree hours formula? Made the UMAI 5lb kit as directed and dextrose was in mix so no idea. Going to run a few of their mixes to learn more before going into the deep end and doing my own. That said, I am kinda surprised how easy it was and not sure why I put it off so long.

SS run on deck and using F RM 52. Using dextrose only at a rate of .6%. Aiming pH just under 5. Running it at 86F. How long do you guys think I need? Looks like 4 days. (yeah a meter or strips would nice...) Side note, do any of you have a clue what the name is based on? Guessing F for fast, but no idea after that. Trying to help me remember the names.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky