Bactoferm advice for summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

diyelker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Central IL
I like a good amount of tang in my summer sausage. I’ve used ECA and fermento in the past with good results but would like to try bactoferm. I know nothing about how to use it and I want to make sure I’m using it correctly and safely. How should I use bactoferm f-lc? Does it go in with the seasoning and then mix as normal? Back into the fridge after being stuffed, and for how long? Thanks for the help guys.

Not long ago I was doing a lot of cured and dry aged sausages. I used Bactoferm S-TPX which is a starter culture to get the fermentation process started. As far as I know it's not used for adding tang to the sausage, it's for fermentation. If you want the tang for real, you dissolve the appropriate amount of the S-TPX in water, mix it into your meat, stuff, and let the sausages hang for 2 to 3 days for the culture to work. When I say "hang" I mean someplace other than the fridge. I just hung mine from a clothes rod in my closet and placed a bowl of water under them for a bit of additional humidity. After the 3 days then into the fridge to age. I weighed them at the beginning then every week until I got a 35% weight loss. That gives a nice "aged tang" to the sausage. Probably not much help but if you're not into dry aging than I'd just suggest using more ECA.

Robert

DIY, I only use bactofrem products for dry cured sausage and use Fermento for my tang with SS and am happy with the results.

Last edited:
T-SPX
Pediococcus Pentosaceus , Staphylococcus

Aromatic with mild acidification.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky