Bacon!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
After 14 hours I pulled them. The smell is out of the world!

P5182198.JPG

Tender quick and brown sugar. Right by the proper amounts. After I did the 3rd rinse it was fine. Just a heads up that one should do a test sample. I learned from my run with Canadian bacon.

That's what happens when you Dry cure for 17 days.
LOL---People say you can't over-cure---BS !!
That may be true with Pops Equilibrium Brine cure, but not with Dry Cure. Too long is too long.

Bear

That may be true with Pops Equilibrium Brine cure, but not with Dry Cure. Too long is too long.

Bear

I agree with you when using TQ. Cure#1 and digging dogs cure calculator you cant over cure, its a dry cure too.

I agree with you when using TQ. Cure#1 and digging dogs cure calculator you cant over cure, its a dry cure too.

Yup---If you don't put salt in the mix (or very little), it won't load up from too long a time in cure.
However that's why people have trouble with TQ. Too long in cure.
My TQ has the same amount of salt in it that everybody else's does, yet mine is never salty, because I'm disciplined with my curing time calculations.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm going to do the wet cure next time. After rinsing it. It was ok though.
Adam, BLT's are on the menu this coming weekend!

I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I read Bear's post about the TQ. My last batch was salty because I left it in several days longer than my first two batches (not by choice)........now I know!

Reactions: Bearcarver
I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I read Bear's post about the TQ. My last batch was salty because I left it in several days longer than my first two batches (not by choice)........now I know!

Me as well. Though after soaking it it came out fine. Lesson learned. I'm glad I did test pieces along the way.

Reactions: smoking gun
I thought it was ok when I did my test fry but it was still on the salty side after I vac sealed it. Still edible. Now after all of this bacon talk .........off to the freezer to get a package of bacon out for breakfast!

Thank You Denny!!
Always nice to hear Confirmation on the Methods to my Madness.:emoji_sunglasses:

Bear

Thank You Denny!!
Always nice to hear Confirmation on the Methods to my Madness.:emoji_sunglasses:

Bear
Thanks Bear, I've tried several of your "step by steps" and you've always been spot on. With all of the experience on this sight, a person sure can't help but get better at smoking - I know I have.

Bear
17 days in tender quick seemed like a lot but I've never done pork belly. I've had to throw some taters in with the Canadian bacon though..... :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky