1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Bacon!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by Steve H, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I bought this awhile back. And now that my life has somewhat returned to normal. I'm getting this bad boy thawed out. Just shy of 9 pounds. I'll be doing the dry cure for 14 days more then likely. And do a hot smoke.

P4282120.jpg

motolife313, 73saint and JC in GB like this.
  2. JC in GB

JC in GB Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Oh yeah... Nothing like home made bacon! Yum!

3. Braz

Braz Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Gonna' be good.

4. Steve H

I just noticed that I posted this in the wrong section.

5. Steve H

After a little trimming I ended up with 4 pieces at 2 pounds a piece. Now they are resting in partially vacuumed bags for their 2 week cure.

P4302136.jpg

6. Steve H

Due to timing these guys will be cured for 17 days. Tomorrow I'll rinse them. Do a test piece. Then let them rest uncovered overnight in the fridge. I'm thinking about using the TSM hickory dust for around 12 hours at 140 degrees. Or should I use pellets for a more dense smoke?

7. motolife313

motolife313 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I’d so 130 or less because that’s where it starts rendering the fat. Might be at 140. Got the tip from bear and it was spot on. I think I was going for 120 degree or less. I’d go more Smokey because it can take a lot and not be very strong tasting with 1 day smoke. Some guys do multiple days.

Steve H likes this.
  8. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Master of the Pit

Why not just cold smoke it? You will end up cooking the sliced bacon anyways. Go 12 hours hickory or apple and you wont be disappointed. Plus you can always throw some cheese on while you are doing it!

Steve H likes this.
  9. 5GRILLZNTN

5GRILLZNTN Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

With you storing them in the fridge uncovered overnight, the pellicle should grab smoke like flypaper. Hot, or cold smoking will work just fine. I do like SmokinVolfan's advice though. Put that smoke to more than one use!

Steve H likes this.
  10. Steve H

True. I think that's what I'll do.

SmokinVOLfan likes this.
  11. Steve H

LOL! I would if I had more room. The 4 pieces of belly will pretty much take all the room the smoker has to offer.

12. SmokinVOLfan

Sounds to me like a good problem to have. Just explain to your wife that a new bigger smoker is necessary for economical purposes. You burn more wood doing multiple smokes so it will end up paying for itself in the long run!

13. Steve H

She won't buy into that!
    So, I got the belly out. Gave it a rinse. Did a test piece. YUCK! Way too much salt. Rinsed again and did a test piece. Still salty. Then, I soaked them in water for 30 minutes. And changed the water twice during that time. Another test piece.....much better! Now they are back in the fridge uncovered for smoking tomorrow.

P5172187.JPG P5172186.JPG

SmokinVOLfan likes this.
  14. motolife313

motolife313 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I’ve washed meat off in my river

15. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

what dry cure did you use for being to salty? I hear that a lot and to often.

16. Steve H

Tender quick and brown sugar. Right by the proper amounts. After I did the 3rd rinse it was fine. Just a heads up that one should do a test sample. I learned from my run with Canadian bacon.

17. SmokinVOLfan

I use TQ as well and usually soak mine for an hour-two to get them right. Cover one or two of those slabs in fresh cracked pepper before you smoke it!

18. Steve H

Early start. Bacon is in the smoker. Now the wait!

P5182190.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  19. 5GRILLZNTN

5GRILLZNTN Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

That is an early start Steve! Looking good.

20. Steve H

Yeah, even on my days off I'm up at 3:00