• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Bacon-wrapped bear loin jalapeño poppers

irb75

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 4, 2018
Curious about how to check the temps or how long I might need to smoke some bear loin tips in jalapeno poppers. The meat is about 1 inch cubes and I plan to smoke at 225. I figure about 3 hours of smoking should do the trick however I need to ensure the meat temp is at or above 170 (trichinosis...although I’ve read above 140 kills it all). Any ideas outside of the built in temp probe and a Thermopro instant read how i might ensure the temps are high enough in the meat?

Attachments

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Think you would need some kind of thermometer to check. Small ones hand held no electric like some chef's use are cheap.

Warren

BigW.

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 13, 2019
Test your instant read therm in ice water and boiling water to check for accuracy. Then test several poppers (meat portion) and enjoy. Let us know how they turn out.

muskyjunky

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 13, 2018
Curious to hear how they turn out, I've only ever had bear once and they were a sorta BBQ meatball in a crock pot. Good though.

irb75

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 4, 2018
The end result was pretty darn good. I cooked them for 2.5 hours with is prob 30 min too long @ 225. I was getting good readings off the internal probe and the ThermoPro. The bear was marinated in Italian dressing for 2 hours then after assembling the poppers I covered them with the Italian and stored overnight. The finish is a very juicy and slightly spicy popper with no wild game taste at all. Prob avoided the game taste by using loins anyway :)

Attachments

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.