• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Bacon Temperature

Biggy1

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 5, 2019
After the 14 day cure , the rinse do I smoke the bacon @ what temperature and how long ?

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
I would slice a piece off first and fry it up first to make sure it's not to salty, if so soak in cold water and repeat, most people will cold smoke how long depends on the smoke level ya want.

sawhorseray

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 17, 2014
I just pulled a maple-honey bacon slab from my Pro 100 smoker a couple of hours ago. Started at 110º and slowly raised the temp up to a high of 165º. Pulled at a IT of 139º after right around 16 hours total, applewood chips. RAY
DSCN3317.JPG

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
I am going to cold smoke it.
If you're cold smoking then no heat required. I like to have the outside ambient above freezing and below 70F, but I've heard you can go higher.
I go around 6 hours of smoke (I'm assuming you used a cure). After rinsing let it dry until "tacky". I just let it dry in the fridge a night or two.
How are you generating smoke?

olaf

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 4, 2017
I'm one of those that doesn't worry so much about my temp getting a little warm. I've had no problems going 100-110 for 8 hours.

sawhorseray

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 17, 2014
I am going to cold smoke it.
Oh, never mind! I can only cold smoke during winter months here, it's always around 80º when I get out of bed in the morning, be 110º today. I only CS lox and cheese using my offset. RAY

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
After you rinse the belly. You should let it rest uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours before smoking. If it is cool outside. I do 2 twelve hour cold smokes.

Biggy1

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 5, 2019
If you're cold smoking then no heat required. I like to have the outside ambient above freezing and below 70F, but I've heard you can go higher.
I go around 6 hours of smoke (I'm assuming you used a cure). After rinsing let it dry until "tacky". I just let it dry in the fridge a night or two.
How are you generating smoke?
I have a Masterbuilt 130 electric smoker with a smoker attachment .

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
I have a Masterbuilt 130 electric smoker with a smoker attachment .
I'm not familiar with that set-up or how much smoke is made and my 6 hour note is just personal preference.
As above noted some like more smoke and are comfortable with higher temps. It's all good.
Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to do it all at once. You can smoke a few hours, let it rest in the fridge and do a few more hours the next day.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.