Bacon, Step by Step Video

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Disco,
I have never made homemade bacon before. I’m going to give it a good using this post.
One question, I love pepper can I add some to the dry cure mixture or should I put some on before the final smoke?

Thanks,
Johnny Ray

Disco,
I have never made homemade bacon before. I’m going to give it a good using this post.
One question, I love pepper can I add some to the dry cure mixture or should I put some on before the final smoke?

Thanks,
Johnny Ray
I love pepper on my bacon. The way I like best is to rinse the bacon off after the cure as per the instructions. Pat the bacon dry with paper towels and then rub cracked peppercorns onto the surface. Then I put the bacon in the fridge, uncovered, overnight to allow pellicle to form. Then smoke as normal.

How much pepper is a major argument around here. I like at least 40 ml of cracked pepper per kg (1 1/2 tablespoon) per pound. I could even go a lot more. She Who Must Be Obeyed will tolerate that amount but prefers less. You will have to experiment to get it to your tastes.

I love pepper on my bacon. The way I like best is to rinse the bacon off after the cure as per the instructions. Pat the bacon dry with paper towels and then rub cracked peppercorns onto the surface. Then I put the bacon in the fridge, uncovered, overnight to allow pellicle to form. Then smoke as normal.

How much pepper is a major argument around here. I like at least 40 ml of cracked pepper per kg (1 1/2 tablespoon) per pound. I could even go a lot more. She Who Must Be Obeyed will tolerate that amount but prefers less. You will have to experiment to get it to your tastes.

disco disco - first off, thanks for sharing the great info. I am curious - what would be different by adding the pepper after the cure versus adding it to the dry cure?

Would adding pepper to the cure adjust the ratios of the salt, sugar and/or cure #1?

Lastly - besides black pepper, what other spices/seasonings have you tried adding in with the salt, sugar and cure?

Thanks again!

disco disco - first off, thanks for sharing the great info. I am curious - what would be different by adding the pepper after the cure versus adding it to the dry cure?

Would adding pepper to the cure adjust the ratios of the salt, sugar and/or cure #1?

Lastly - besides black pepper, what other spices/seasonings have you tried adding in with the salt, sugar and cure?

Thanks again!
I have tried using the pepper in the cure and after before smoking. Both work ok but I just like the pepper taste after the cure better. I think it is a better taste but that is just based on my personal likes. Try both ways yourself and decide.

You don't have to adjust the other ingredients if you are adding pepper to the cure.

I have tried chili powder (ok but not my favourite), ground dried chipotle (really like it), piri piri spices (really like it), cajun spice blend (quite nice) after the cure. I have also injected maple syrup, honey and molasses with nice results but cut back on the sugar. Another good variation is to substitute some maple sugar for the brown sugar but use a bit more.

Second batch using this recipe goes in cold smoker tomorrow. Friends and family cleaned me out pretty quick

Second batch using this recipe goes in cold smoker tomorrow. Friends and family cleaned me out pretty quick
I am so sorry. I know your pain. When I go to visit relatives they don't say hello, they say "Where's the bacon?"

Reactions: Whiskyb
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky