Bacon rub ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingwxman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Just curious as to what you guys like to use for your bacon rubs? I used a store bought bourbon/maple rub for my first and only attempt. It was good but I want to branch out some.

All I ever do is after I cure it, I sprinkle CBP, Garlic Powder & Onion Powder on it.
Then I let the Pellicle form & it holds the powders on while it Smokes.

Bear

I like my Bacon to taste like Bacon! Salt, some Sugar and Cure #1. I will add Black Pepper but other than that Smoke is the final flavoring. This gives more options with how the Bacon is used. Bacon flavored Bacon on a classic BLT, I'm all good to go. I want Maple Flavor with my Pancakes, I add it at the table. Garlic in a Bacon and Pasta dish like Americanized Fettuccine Carbonara, Garlic, Blk Pepper, Red Pepper, Thyme and a couple of smashed Juniper Berries, is added to the saute pan. Garlic, Onion and Dill for a Grilled Chicken, Bacon and Ranch Sandwich, the herbs and spices are added while cooking the Bacon.
Keep the Bacon Simple and add the Flair when you make the meal...JJ

I use tender quick for my cure, but then I add a Black Forrest spice blend I found online & Maple Sugar for flavoring.

Black Forest Spice Mixture:

125gm White pepper
25gm Ground nutmeg
25gm Ground mace
15gm Ground cardamom
200gm White sugar

Mix thoroughly, then store in an opaque jar out in a cool, dry place.

I use 1 Tbsp of Tender quick per pound of meat, and rub that over the surface well before placing the bacon in a large ziplock bag (I used the 2 1/2 gallon bags). I make sure to put any of the loose tender quick that fell off into the bag as well. Then, once the slab is in a bag, I use a table spoon per pound each of the black forest spice & maple sugar and rub both side of the bacon with those. At this point I seal up the bags and place them in the fridge for the next 2 weeks. Each bag gets a daily massage and then flipped over to make sure everything gets into the meat during the cure process. After the 2 weeks, I pulls the slabs from the bags and rinse them well before drying them off and putting them on cooling racks. At this point I will put a very light dusting of maple sugar on the bacon and then into the fridge overnight to form the pelical. Next morning they all go into the smoker for a 10-12 hour cold smoking session. 2 more days of rest in the fridge, and then off to the butcher to have the bacon sliced.

I have received rave reviews for this bacon from friends and family. In fact when butchering hogs with my buddy this year, he insisted I do his bacon for him because his family likes it some much.

I've even gone as far as to use this spice blend when making canadian bacon, and it turns out fantastic as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky