Bacon Part II

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chewmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 28, 2013
Eastern PA
I decided to do the other half of the belly I had left since my first attempt at bacon. Instead of coating with black pepper like I did the first time, I left it 'naked.' The first smoke turned out awesome and the bacon didn't last long. The first attempt was cold smoked with all hickory. This time I was torn between using hickory or apple wood. I compromised and used a mix of both. Though not quite as good as the peppered bacon, still would give it an 'A' for flavor. I'm hooked.

The second 1/2 belly ready to get happy in Pop's brine.

After 8 hours in the smoker.

After 12 hours. Had to cut it in half as my 30+ year old Rival slicer isn't long enough.

Some of the finished product. Guess what's for breakfast tomorrow.

Looks awesome.

Better get more curing.
Thanks. I may have to order another belly real soon.
icon_smile.gif

Looks great, I got mine in Pop's brine now, I only have about a half of a belly 6 lbs. I only used about have of the brine to cover the belly pieces, do you think I screwed up? Do I need to use the whole gallon of brine to get the proper amount of cure into the meat??

Looks great, I got mine in Pop's brine now, I only have about a half of a belly 6 lbs. I only used about have of the brine to cover the belly pieces, do you think I screwed up? Do I need to use the whole gallon of brine to get the proper amount of cure into the meat??

What did you do..... Make up 1 gallon per directions then only use 1/2 of it.....

If that's what you did, use the entire gallon with all the additives that are supposed to be there.....

Last edited:
I'm not a wet curer, but I'm thinking if you mixed all of the ingredients for a gallon of water with a gallon of water (Mixed real well), it doesn't matter how much of the mixture you use, as long as the meat is completely covered.

I believe it's the ratio of cure to water that is important.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky