Bacon Help!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ptcruiserguy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 16, 2011
Sharps Chapel, Tn
I'm not sure if I have a problem, so I need some advice.
I used PoP's wet cure to cure some pork bellies for bacon.
When I pulled them from the cure this morning they were
kinda had some slime on them. I never remember this happening
before. (of course I don't remember alot of things happening before) :(
Just want to know if it is still safe to smoke this stuff.

Thanks
Mike

Okay, Thank you Richie
I was really worried there for a few minutes.
I thought I ruined 6lb of Bacon. :mad:

RopyStringyBrine1.jpg RopyStringyBrine2.jpg

Reactions: ptcruiserguy
First, did the meat have a foul smell? Was it also excessively foamy? If not, the brine was not ropy. It is only ropy when it has a foul smell, like rotten eggs.
When you place any kind of meat in a salt/sugar curing brine, two things happen. 1) The curing agents are absorbed into the meat, and 2) meat proteins and blood and plasma are extruded from the meat. This can cause thickening of the curing brine, a very normal occurrence. It does NOT mean it is 'ropy'.
Ropy curing brine is indicated that bacteria has entered the curing solution from outside contaminants. If you use a CLEAN container, POTABLE clean water, stir the solution sufficiently to dissolve the ingredients and keep the curing solution/meat at between 34° to 38° F., your curing brine and meat will not get 'ropy'.

Reactions: ptcruiserguy
Thanks Pops. It didn't smell foul, it actually smelled like uhhh the ocean.
I smelled it again this morning and it still smells fine. It has like a tacky feeling to the
touch. So I guess I'm gonna do a fry test. If that turns out good then I am gonna smoke it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky