Bacon for pork shots?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HisMajesty

Original poster
Sep 25, 2019
Good evening. I made my first attempt at pork shots today. They did not turn out well. The flavor was great but the presentation was not appealing in the least. I used smoke sausage with a half of slice of thick cut bacon to make the cup and filled it with a cream cheese filling. The bacon was really fatty and the "cup" just fell over like a limp... well, you get the idea. Is a lean slice of bacon important or did I miss something all together?

Good evening. I made my first attempt at pork shots today. They did not turn out well. The flavor was great but the presentation was not appealing in the least. I used smoke sausage with a half of slice of thick cut bacon to make the cup and filled it with a cream cheese filling. The bacon was really fatty and the "cup" just fell over like a limp... well, you get the idea. Is a lean slice of bacon important or did I miss something all together?

I use center cut, thin bacon if I can find it. Otherwise it's center cut regular sliced bacon. Thick cut would take to long to cook.

Chris

How thick did you slice the sausage ?? looking for about a 1/2" thick... This gives more support to the bacon ... I also use regular sliced instead of thick sliced... Although I have found that the thick sliced stands up better and makes a better cup... but it just takes to long to cook.... I say just keep trying.. it gets easier and better the more you make them ... I fill mine with a 50/50 mixture of rub and dark brown sugar...

They were all around 1/2" thick sausage slices. I assumed my problem was in my bacon.

Attachments

• 20190929_201532.jpg
    20190929_201532.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 36
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky