BACON (Extra Smoky)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
thats good looking bacon you made up..

need about 8 more slices on that breakfast sammie....lol
icon_lol.gif
Thanks sunman!!!

Eight slices might have been OK for me a few years ago.

Now I gotta be more careful.  
th_crybaby2.gif

Bear

Yes sir, that is some mighty good looking bacon there!  Great post Bear.  I'm going to be doing some myself soon in my new MES 40, with my new AMNPS.  

One question -- how do yo make square eggs?

I need to go find an egg and bacon sammy now!
Thanks John!

Ya gotta find the right chicken!

d22e3a6a_thumbnail.aspx.jpg

Bear

That looks incredible!!!  Now I want to make some.  
Thanks Ron.

You would never buy it in a store again.

Bear

awesome bacon bear............... Tomatoes will be ready here in nc in about 1 more week....... Now I gatta pull my bacon out of the fridge and make me a bacon sandwich for lunch......

Oh and I like your post ending
Thanks Joe!

We still got awhile until our maters are ready!

But I'm ready now.

Hope I have a plant this year, like I had a few years ago---Had one Cherry Tomato plant produce well over 3,000 maters!!!

Bear

Looks great Bear.  I have been calling around to get some prices on bellies to try this here soon.  Thanks for a great step by step.
Thanks Tank!

Bear

We gotta figure out a way to "Pig`Salmon" trade here..

Looks scrumptous to me Bear--great work sir!!
Thanks rich!

I wish trading was as easily done as said!!!!

Bear

Bear that is some excellent looking bacon...love the bit of heat explanation and with a title like "Bacon Extra Smoky" you had my undivided attention..

Thanks for the detailed Q-View ...it's going to help everyone here make their own extra smoky bacon correctly. 
drool.gif

Last edited:
Beautiful post as always Bear.  Great looking bacon too, but with you that is nothing new.

I did notice your retro salt and pepper shakers.  I have to get by the restaurant supply store and see if i can find a set of those.  I can always bend the caps a little with a hammer to make them look old and authentic.

Good luck and good smoking.

Looking very delicious!!!

Craig
Thank You Craig!

Bear

drool.gif
YOU THE MAN.Showing your mad skills.
points.gif
Thank You Much Michael!

Bear

That is some good looking bacon you got there Bear...

when will my breakfast order arrive?
Thanks Paul!'

I keep watching for you to pull in the driveway!

Bear

great looking bacon. I'll be trying my first bbb and canadian in 6 more days. O nly one sammie? i need at least 2 of'em
Thanks RIBOB!

I try to keep my Breakfast small nowadays.

Bear

Thanks Al !!!

See Below,

Bear

Thanks Todd !!

I have smoked Belly Bacon just about every way, except for cold smoking for longer than 12 hours.

They are ALL good, but IMO colder smoking had the least amount of flavor & color, probably because it takes a lot longer to get the smoke to adhere to a cold clammy piece of meat. It is my guess that if you cold smoke long enough, you can get the best smoked Bacon there could possibly be, but I'm not into smoking things for days.

I talked to some butchers in my area, and they agree that a little heat allows the meat to be able to accept smoke more readily, and as long as you keep the temp down, it won't have any adverse effects. I had my heat set at 120˚ (a little higher than the temperature in Arizona right now) for almost all of the smoke, so the lowest it went was about 116˚, and the highest it spiked would have been about 140˚ (only for a few minutes). Most of the time it was between 120˚ and 126˚.

I watched this one really closely, and if it would have started dripping any fat, I was prepared to cut the heat quickly, but it did not.

Your AMNS and/or AMNPS made it so much easier than trying to get consistent smoke any other way, especially at such low temps!

Thanks Todd,

Bear

I always thought cold meat took on more smoke and the warmer it got the less smoke it would take on. I guess I was wrong.

I always thought cold meat took on more smoke and the warmer it got the less smoke it would take on. I guess I was wrong.
I've done Bacon at all kinds of smoking temps, and I took them to quite a few different temps.

IMO, just like smoke won't adhere properly to bacon or fish without a pellicle, it will adhere better to a warm dry piece of meat than to a cold clammy piece of meat. Once the cold smoking meat gets really dry, it takes smoke fine, but that takes a long time to begin.

Like I said, they ALL taste great, I just prefer warm smoked Bacon better, because I can get more smoke on it.

I think you might be thinking about how many people say meat takes on less smoke after getting beyond 140˚ internal. I don't know whether that's true or not, but that is a different thing entirely.

Remember---This is MY OPINION---Not fact.

However, I mentioned that I have found Bacon to pick up smoke better when warm smoking for under 12 hours than cold smoking for under 12 hours, to two different butcher shop guys who smoke meats. I got two different answers. One said "Yup", and the other one said "Absolutely".

Before a big "free for all" starts, I'm going to repeat to all:

These comments are things that I have found through my smoking, and are mainly based on my opinion. Others have different findings and differing opinions---Fine.

I'm not saying any of this to start an argument.

Anyone who tries all kinds of ways can have differing opinions. And people should try all of the ways, and decide for themselves.

Once I get this one into my "Signature", people can try this one [BACON (Extra Smoky)], and my other one, just called [BACON], and decide for themselves. The other one was only a couple degrees above 100˚ (almost cold-smoked) because of the ambient temp when I did it. 

I think the one on this thread "BACON (Extra Smoky)" is much better, but that is my opinion.

Thank,

Bear

Reactions: gary s
amazing smoke and tutorial there Bear...thx for being so precise in the explanation....
Thank Wille !!

Bear

Bear that is some excellent looking bacon...love the bit of heat explanation and with a title like "Bacon Extra Smoky" you had my undivided attention..

Thanks for the detailed Q-View ...it's going to help everyone here make their own extra smoky bacon correctly. 
Thanks Buddy!

Bear

I think this is the answer to the question I just posted in Pork prep. I am planning to cure and smoke some jowl bacon. Your extra smoky recipe should work well as there is no skin on the jowl. I have a Brinkman charcoal smoker. the square black vertical one. I have tested it using a hot plate for a smoke generator. I also  used the included charcoal burner with wood chunks. [ Cherry, Alder, Maple] from my wood pile.] so far I have only Smoked salmon in it using the hot plate. Before moving to Port Townsend Washington I lived in Seattle for 40 years and for 20 of those I had a Kamodo Pot which I gave away when we moved.   So where do I get the cure? I remember my family curing Ham and Bacon in crock packed in a salt cure in the root cellar when I was a child but don't actually know the details as I was 8 years old. 

I think this is the answer to the question I just posted in Pork prep. I am planning to cure and smoke some jowl bacon. Your extra smoky recipe should work well as there is no skin on the jowl. I have a Brinkman charcoal smoker. the square black vertical one. I have tested it using a hot plate for a smoke generator. I also  used the included charcoal burner with wood chunks. [ Cherry, Alder, Maple] from my wood pile.] so far I have only Smoked salmon in it using the hot plate. Before moving to Port Townsend Washington I lived in Seattle for 40 years and for 20 of those I had a Kamodo Pot which I gave away when we moved.   So where do I get the cure? I remember my family curing Ham and Bacon in crock packed in a salt cure in the root cellar when I was a child but don't actually know the details as I was 8 years old. 
If you use my method, follow it exact. It would actually be better if you read up on a whole lot of curing & smoking threads, before attempting it.

The biggest thing is whichever cure you use--Tender Quick or one of the Cure #1s, follow the instructions for the amount to be used, that comes with that cure. Don't mix directions for one cure with a different cure, because they are not the same.

Then once you are ready, make a plan of attack, and follow it. If you use mine, it is laid out specifically for the use of Tender Quick. If you follow it closely, you shouldn't have a problem, but you can always PM me with any questions you may have.

I get my Tender Quick from a local Grocery Store "Wegmans". There should be places in your area that have it. Morton Salt makes it, and sells it on the internet, but including the shipping, it's a little pricey.

Bear

Beautiful post as always Bear.  Great looking bacon too, but with you that is nothing new.

I did notice your retro salt and pepper shakers.  I have to get by the restaurant supply store and see if i can find a set of those.  I can always bend the caps a little with a hammer to make them look old and authentic.

Good luck and good smoking.
Thanks Merv!!!

You like those old things???

We had them before we were married, and that was 1968 !!!!----Yikes !!!

Bear

Bear,

Can you explain the term "Extr Smokey" to me???  I have neva heard of such a thing when it comes to food...
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Rich
LOL---That's "Extra Smoky" not "Too Smoky". No such thing as too smoky.

Extra Smoky is just right for Pennsy & Alaska Bears !!!

Bear

Jowl or "Cheek" Bacon is phenomenal!  I had a butcher do that one for me on a porker I had processed a while back.  Off the hook good.  Now I know what he was doing & how.

Boy, I check out for just ONE day and miss all the bacony fun!  Really nice post, Bear!  We're getting those bacon cure and smoke details all put together here on SMF thanks to you!  Great Q-view!  Congrats!

Holy pork fat! Hey I like the letting sit for 39 hours before slicing. That was a nice offering to the smoke gods. 
drool.gif
Thanks Meat !

I usually slice it the next day, but I pulled it pretty late in the Eve, so I gave it an extra day---wasn't easy!!!

Shhhhh--actually I went down to my meat fridge, and stole a few slices the next day, so I could last through that extra day!!!

Bear

That great step by step explanation is what's convinced me to try it myself.  Thanks Bear!
Thanks Ron,

Sometimes I may over-do my explanations, but I always worry that I might be the only one who understands some of my writings.

Glad you liked it.

Bear

Jowl or "Cheek" Bacon is phenomenal!  I had a butcher do that one for me on a porker I had processed a while back.  Off the hook good.  Now I know what he was doing & how.

Boy, I check out for just ONE day and miss all the bacony fun!  Really nice post, Bear!  We're getting those bacon cure and smoke details all put together here on SMF thanks to you!  Great Q-view!  Congrats!
Thank You Much, James!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky