Bacon Cure recipes (without the sugar)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thekgaggle

Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
I'm looking for a Bacon Cure recipe that doesn't require the sugar; my family is on a strict Autism diet.  I know the sugar helps in the curing process, does anyone know exactly what additional attributes it provides?  Thanks,

I believe that the sugar's main purpose is to moderate the taste of the salt and add flavor.  I have a recipe for bacon cured with Instacure and sugar substitute.   

Bacon

11-14 lbs pork belly skinned

1c salt noniodized

4Tablespoons Instacure 1

2c honey or sugar substitute

rub evenly into pork belly  wrap tightly with freezer/butcher paper and seal in plastic wrap.  Place in fridge 5-7 days  turn and rotate daily 

wash off cure and honey, w luke warm water

soak in warm water about 1 hr  taste for saltiness by frying.  Dry in moving air,  cold smoke  6 – 8 hrs no higher temp then 100-115 

I have never used this recipe so check the amount of cure to use on the Instacure 1, cure #1 packaging.

Al

icon_cool.gif

Now you can use tender quick and make some Canadian bacon. Now I did one not to long ago and didn't have any sugar so I used a little bit of Cinnamon and it came out really tasty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky