Bacon and cure - How much is too much?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pugsbrew

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
SE Ohio
So, I've been reading through the Bacon Bible by Peter Sherman. He has included instructions on curing bacon. His recipes call for 2 tsps of cure for 5 lb of meat.

What am I missing here? Isn't that twice the amount of normal recipes?

How much is too much for 5 lbs of meat?

Depends on how you look at it. The 1tsp cure for the 5 lbs of meat is designed at achieve the 156 ppm threshold.

Using twice that much cure obviously would take you well over that amt. However the process of cooking the meat will break down most of the nitrates in the finished product. I personally would use the 1tsp per 5lbs. I actually would use 1.13 g/lb to be even more accurate

So, I've been reading through the Bacon Bible by Peter Sherman. He has included instructions on curing bacon. His recipes call for 2 tsps of cure for 5 lb of meat.

What am I missing here? Isn't that twice the amount of normal recipes?

How much is too much for 5 lbs of meat?

Are you sure that’s not for a brine? Add water, and that 2tsp work fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky