Back To My Roots--UDS Style with Tutorial

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Years ago when I first joined this site, UDS builds were very popular. At that time I decided to build one and was glad I did because I learned a lot from many members here and was able to produce some wonderful meals on that old barrel. Also, there were some tutorials by fellow members that helped me with my build. However, with all the upgrades to the site, those wonderful tutorials have disappeared.

Over the years I acquired more experience and knowledge, but for some DUMB reason I decided to sell my UDS and "upgrade" to another type of smoker. I used the money to help pay for my first MES.

Well, nostalgia has taken over, and since I have acquired all the smokers I presently need (and since I had another 55 gallon drum lying around), I decided to go back to my roots and build another dependable smoker. I have included the description of the step-by-step procedure for my build along with photos.

I started with the basket: expanded metal, charcoal grate from a Weber Kettle, and a 16" pizza pan. The basket is on 5" risers. I added an S curtain made from clay roof tiles to help with the Minion Method burn.

IMG_0278.jpg

Since most barrels are wider at the top, I cut a 4" band from my 22.5" Weber Kettle's bottom. I am using the Kettle's lid for my lid since my barrel came without one. The band will assure that I have a snug, leak-free fit.
IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

Next I drilled all my holes. For the air intake holes, I drilled three evenly spaced 1" holes 3 1/2" up from the bottom to accommodate 3/4" black pipe nipples. I used one 3/4" ball valve and two capped nipples as my air intakes. To hold the cooking grate, I used three 1 1/2 " bolts, drilled 8" from the top of the barrel. If you wish to have a second grate for a diffuser, you can place it 8" below the first one.

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

Next came the burnout, cleaning, and painting of the barrel. My son's broken baseball bats came in very handy.

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

Tomorrow I will cure the barrel--and then, let the smoking begin!
IMG_0304.jpg

I hope my build can help someone with his or her first UDS build.

Thanks for viewing,

John BandCollector BandCollector

Last edited:
What a beauty. Great step by step guide. Have got me thinking of doing one now.

Any inside pics?

What sort of paint did you use?

The inside was kind of boring. . .Just the cooking grate and the basket sitting at the bottom.

The paint is High Temp paint. I used the MHP brand that we use at work to refurbish gas grills and gas lamps. Rust-Oleum makes a high temp paint

Thanks for the Like!

John

Looks great. I might try that s turn in the basket.

best tool for cutting the grill top off? really like that Idea and I have an extra grill to caninalize!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky