Back Fat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Its been hard to find pork back fat here.

While in Texas i went to the butcher by my sisters house and bought 5lbs of some nice back fat.
Vac sealed and put in freezer.
20220903_110607.jpg

My nephew lives in Idaho and drew an Elk tag last year.

He made some smoked dry style sausage for me using one of my old recipes. Said he followed to the T.
He did good.
20220903_110950.jpg

20220903_112016.jpg

The only place I've found that will even sell pork fat around here is Save A Lot. I still have trouble getting it because I keep missing their pork cutting day, which varies.

Rick, I've carving a pound or more of back fat off the pork butts I use for sausage making. I freeze up the extra fat and my sausage still has plenty of fat to make an excellent sausage. I believe the sausage is healthier too.

I feel fortunate that there are still quite a few small family owned grocers around locally that have there own butchers and they stock pile fat during the cold weather months for the deer hunters making sausages. I also have the high end butcher shop where I buy pork bellies for pancetta and my fat for making salami. Can get it there for $0.99/#.
My Uncle that lives in Gauthier, MS. Found a butcher shop there that sells both pork and beef (mostly ribeye trim fat) fat for $0.10/#. This is where we will be getting all the fat for our big wild game processing day from now on.

I have also done like crazy and save pork butt fat....especially when smoking butts for pulled pork, I trim a lot of the fat cap off to save for sausages.

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky