Back Bacon - 3 flavors

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

potsieko

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
St. Amant, LA
My first attempt at back bacon was a success! All loins were injected with AND submersed in Pop's brine for 12 days.

IMG_0019.jpg

Pulled out on Friday afternoon to form a pellicle - smoked on Saturday evening over oak & hickory, along with 18 lbs of pork jerky. The three flavors were spicy garlic, black pepper, and jalapeño/white pepper.

IMG_0054.jpg

Took the IT to 142* - pulled and placed in fridge for three days, before slicing.

Spicy garlic
IMG_0062.jpg

Black pepper
IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

All three - jalapeño/white pepper on bottom of picture
IMG_0067.jpg

All in all, I'd say I'm satisfied. I will certainly be making this again, but may experiment with adding seasonings to the injection process - to help infuse even more flavor.

Great job potseiko. Cool smokehouse you have there. Reminds me of my grandpappys country ham smokehouse with salt floor in Normandy, Tenn.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky