Baby it's cold outside!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well, I bought some grass fed beef loins from our local grocer this afternoon. My initial plan was to pan fry and finish in the oven. The temp was 40* when I bought these. So when I got home - I decided to fire up the gasser for the first time this year, and have my first Q of the season. Momma GMC was pumped. That's when my old buddy Murphy showed up, and his law attempted to throw a wrench in my plans. The temps quickly dropped down to 32* the winds picked up and the gasser wouldn't spark. I checked the tank and it felt about half full. So I broke out my trusty lighter, turned on the gas and hoped for the best. Viola, the gasser had flame. After I let it heat up for a spell I cleaned the grates and tossed the meat on. The rest as they say is history.

Here they are after the first flip. Both are seasoned with Kosher salt and CBP. Momma GMCs has a coating of Sweet Baby Rays. Mine is streaking - As in Nakid as a Jaybird.
DSC04761.JPG

and it's sliced:
DSC04762.JPG

Close up: These came out really rare no matter what the picture says.
DSC04764.JPG

When I finished I was in the mood for some hash browns. So I fired up the air-fryer and tossed a couple frozen store bought browns in.
DSC04766.JPG

After the hash browns we had some riced cauliflower and broccoli. Sorry no shots of that.

Thanks for hanging. It felt good to be cooking outside again. Even if it was on the colder side.

Chris

I wouldn't turn that down for anything Chris. Good thing about the weather, your beverage stayed cold on the beer pole!

Reactions: gmc2003
Hope your beer didn't freeze to the pole! Looks great, Chris!

Points for the cook and extra for braving the cold.

I wouldn't turn that down for anything Chris. Good thing about the weather, your beverage stayed cold on the beer pole!

Hope your beer didn't freeze to the pole! Looks great, Chris!

Points for the cook and extra for braving the cold.

Thanks guys it was melt in your mouth good. These were cooked in front of the garage. So the snow blower took the beer poles place for this one.

Reactions: DougE
Nice beef. Tenderloin and strip are our favorites for steaks
You don't want to know how my wife wants Her's cooked.

I did a couple of chicken breasts on the apt complex gasser tonight. Another couple came out to grill beef flanken cut ribs. Other grill out of gas so I said we could share. I should have gotten a photo of the load of meat on the grill.
BTW, I was in shorts, t-shirt, and sandals.

Well, I bought some grass fed beef loins from our local grocer this afternoon. My initial plan was to pan fry and finish in the oven. The temp was 40* when I bought these. So when I got home - I decided to fire up the gasser for the first time this year, and have my first Q of the season. Momma GMC was pumped. That's when my old buddy Murphy showed up, and his law attempted to throw a wrench in my plans. The temps quickly dropped down to 32* the winds picked up and the gasser wouldn't spark. I checked the tank and it felt about half full. So I broke out my trusty lighter, turned on the gas and hoped for the best. Viola, the gasser had flame. After I let it heat up for a spell I cleaned the grates and tossed the meat on. The rest as they say is history.

Here they are after the first flip. Both are seasoned with Kosher salt and CBP. Momma GMCs has a coating of Sweet Baby Rays. Mine is streaking - As in Nakid as a Jaybird.
View attachment 659398

and it's sliced:
View attachment 659399

Close up: These came out really rare no matter what the picture says.
View attachment 659400

When I finished I was in the mood for some hash browns. So I fired up the air-fryer and tossed a couple frozen store bought browns in.
View attachment 659401
After the hash browns we had some riced cauliflower and broccoli. Sorry no shots of that.

Thanks for hanging. It felt good to be cooking outside again. Even if it was on the colder side.

Chris
You da man Chris! I posted our song:

• Haha
Nice beef. Tenderloin and strip are our favorites for steaks
You don't want to know how my wife wants Her's cooked.

I did a couple of chicken breasts on the apt complex gasser tonight. Another couple came out to grill beef flanken cut ribs. Other grill out of gas so I said we could share. I should have gotten a photo of the load of meat on the grill.
BTW, I was in shorts, t-shirt, and sandals.
Thanks John, it seems the quality of steaks around here has gone downhill big time around here. These tenders were a little more expensive but the quality is worth it. I paid about 12.00 each for these. I'm not a huge fan of gassers, but in the dead of winter it gets the job done. Shorts, tees and sandals are about a month or more away for us.

Nice, and the cook is perfect.
Appreciate it Joe.

Looks great Chris !
Thanks Rich, I really need to get a better camera. The one I have is hit or miss with pic quality.

Chris

Chris, when we want steak on the grill, we do what we have to do and you did good. More importantly is keeping Momma GMC happy...:emoji_wink:
That's when my old buddy Murphy showed up, and his law attempted to throw a wrench in my plans.
Yep, that rascal has a quite a knack for of showing up at the wrong time...
Shorts, tees and sandals are about a month or more away for us.
We're about there now. Temps have been in the mid 70's and the weeds are growing like crazy...

Chris, when we want steak on the grill, we do what we have to do and you did good. More importantly is keeping Momma GMC happy...:emoji_wink:
You got that right Charles. They tasted great, but also missing that cooked over charcoal and wood flavor.

Yep, that rascal has a quite a knack for of showing up at the wrong time...
That's one uninvited guest that just keeps rearing his ugly head.

We're about there now. Temps have been in the mid 70's and the weeds are growing like crazy...
For us Northerners that's speedo weather. LOL

Thanks for the compliment Charles

Chris

No matter how you cooked them,,,They turned out perfect. Slapped Murphy back in his place as you cleaned that plate.

Jim

Reactions: JLeonard
Steak looks perfect from where I'm sitting Chris, nice work! So when it's cold out gassers don't like to fire up? Charcoal chimney work in the cold? Ah, don't bother, I ain't going where it's cold ever. Spares on the Weber today, be about 73º. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky