Baby Backs on a new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TunaciousBBQ28

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
The day came to cook 4 racks of baby backs on a smoker that I have never used. It is an off set by Nex Gen.
I got a lot of good advice from the members on wood/coal selection and how to light it off.
I started the fire in a chimney with 25 Royal Oak briquettes, 7 large hunks of FOGO lump and two- 4" X 4" Hickory wood pieces.
Used the lightly oiled paper towel and Paper plate trick and every thing was lit and well established in 20 minutes. Dumped into the fire box, opened vents and waited to see how high the smoker temp got.
With all that fire, the gauge on top read 300 degrees, but my Thermo Works probe, at grill height read 210 degrees. I opened the firebox door and the temp went 15 degrees higher.
Put the ribs on and monitored temp closely with my favorite beer close by. I added lump as needed, about every 45 minutes.
After 2.5 hours, the ribs were at 170 degrees and I wrapped. The grill is too small to handle 4 racks individually wrapped, so 3 went into a large pan and one got the solo treatment. Note: I pre-warmed the apple juice so I did not have to wait for it to heat up naturally.
After 2 hours, I opened the solo rack and it the temp was 200 and looked good. The three in the pan, were not ready. My sister has a large gas grill, so I fired that up and transferred the pan to a medium hot gas grill. After 15 minutes, the ribs were at 200 degrees. I
I pulled and sauced the 4 racks.
They were a little tight, but good smoke ring. I used Yard B
Before warp.jpg
Finished.jpg
ird rub and Sweet Baby Rays sauce.

My final thoughts, are: A cheap, $129 smoker does not work too good. The fire box had a lot of leaks, the fire box needs more fresh air vents, the fire box is too small. The smoker area should be larger. I do a better job with my Tragear Texas at home.

It will get a little better as some grease builds up, and you can do some insulation pretty cheap: fiberglass wire, bricks in the cooking chamber to even out the temp discrepancies, and others.

Be ready to paint it again after a few cooks, too

You made good choices getting the ribs done. They look great. Bright side? You get to research a new, bigger Offset. A Lang maybe.😆...JJ

Reactions: TunaciousBBQ28
You made good choices getting the ribs done. They look great. Bright side? You get to research a new, bigger Offset. A Lang maybe.😆...JJ
Thank you. I have read most of the threads on the site, going back 6 months. A lot of great information here. I really appreciate how open the members are. A Lang would be manna from heaven. Looking at GF models, but not sure. Another thread has, Stumps, Mixon, Assassin as top of class along with the Lang.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky