Baby Backs 1st time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lubbocksmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Lubbock Texas
Hey guys,

I will be smoking the ist time tommoroow. 2 racks, I already marinated in with a rub and they are chillin in the frig. How often should I spritz with apple juice . I am starting off simple with just apple juice.

I understand  the 3-2-1, however i read somewhere that you should wrap in plastic when you put them in foil?

I wrap for marinated for overnight. How often am I sprtizing throug out the process?

Not quite sure

I would definitely NOT wrap them in plastic inside the foil.  I bet the plastic wrap might melt, or at least out-gas and give a nasty flavor.  I just wrap them in 2 layers of foil and get em back in the smoker. 

BTW, With baby backs a 2-2-1 method is the recommendation.  3-2-1 is for spare ribs and country style ribs...

A lot of our friends here mop or spritz their ribs constantly (every 1/2 hour or so when you might add coals or chips).  Others recommend a spritz with juice before foiling -- which is what I do if I spritz at all.  Today I use pineapple juice instead of apple -- turned out awesome! 

Make sure to post your Q-view and describe the process!  Cheers!

Lubbock, first of all do not use plastic wrap close to any heat, only heavy duty aluminum foil. Second, Baby Backs should be done on the

2-2-1 method or something close to that, I do a 2-2.5-.5 as my folks like their baby backs all most fall off the bone done. Third, as far as using Apple Juice, You can start spritzing it after it has been in the smoker for 1 hour, then when you take the baby backs out to foil them, spritz again and even pour a splash out of the bottle onto the ribs then wrap tightly with the aluminum foil and back in the smoker for 2+ hours, then when you take them out of the foil if you like BBQ sauce, now is the time to sauce them up, let the heat and the meat suck the sauce in and then sauce at least one more time and let the heat work on it for a few minutes.  If you don't like BBQ Sauce, then spritz the ribs one time only after they come out of the foil.  Now that is how I do my Baby Backs and I have been smoking for about 8 years.  If your doing spare ribs use the same recipe except in the 3-2-1 method.  Hope they turn out great for you, and don't forget the q-view so we can see how you did! Have fun!

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

You've gotten good advice so far. The only thing I can add is take the ribs out of the fridge about 1/2 hour before you smoke them & coat with brown sugar, letting it melt all over the ribs. This will keep them moist & you won't need to spritz them. Add some moisture when you foil ( beer, apple juice, etc. ), then sauce them for the final hour on the grate. That's the way we like them. This is how they look done this way. Although these are spares, not baby backs.

3ea70b07_12-19-10ribs1.jpg

All great advce above...film will melt at higher temps and at the very least will bubble up like a balloon from the steam trapped inside. My last ribs I added AJ when foiling, no spritzing....came out ok, but not great. Next time I'm doing Als method.....straight 6 hours or so with no foil as those ribs look killer to me. I personally am not a big fan of BB's although I wouldn't pass one by if offered one. Have fun, don't stress and post pics

Ribs are going on I am hungry already thanks for the advice guys...Will put up Qview during process.......

Thanks Lubbock

Happy Grillin!!!

Hey Lubbock - I usually go straight 4is hours for baby back ribs, I don't sprits and I don't foil till they are done and ready to rest in a warm cooler. Looking forward to seeing how you make out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky