Baby Backs (12 Bones Rub) 3 lb at 225 no foil - last minute advice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

paulekelly1

Original poster
Sep 21, 2021
3 lbs babyback ribs. I put on yellow mustard, then a dry rub based on 12 Bones. Smoking it at 225. It will be the lowest temp I've smoked, I usually do 250-275 but I want to smoke these for 6 total hours, which is when my guests arrive.

Currently 165 at 3.5 hours.

Do you all use a glaze at the end? I don't foil them, I usually don't put sauce on at the end - I've mostly just done dry rub smokes.

I do have it split in two 1.5 lb racks.

For a glaze or homemade bbq sauce, I pulled together some stuff from the pantry:

Australian tea tree honey, Worcestershire, Chipotle Bourbon Maple Syrup, Gochujang, Soy, Mustard, Apple Cider Vinegar, Ketchup. Based off this what would you recommend?

Will upload pictures!

Sorry for the blurry quality! Here's the ribs with the rub before I put them into the smoker.

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_120234583.jpg
    IMG_20220423_120234583.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 28
If you have not done this before on your pit at 225*,,,, all I have to say is, you are gutsy. Ribs are now in the stall. If your pit is surface temp 225* you may be ok depending on how you like your ribs, if not you may be in for a ride. Meat IT will trail the pit temp 15-20* cooking at 225* takes a long time to finish because of this. Best of luck to you. Hope it’s great.

I use the 2-2-1 method. Smoke at 225. 2 hours in no pan, 2 hours in foil pan covered, and 1 hour uncovered in foil pan. At the last hour, I baste with bbq sauce.

If I'm have people over for ribs, I usually cut them into 2 or 3 bone sections. I get more smoke flavor, I get more bark, and they finish much faster.

3 lbs babyback ribs. I put on yellow mustard, then a dry rub based on 12 Bones. Smoking it at 225. It will be the lowest temp I've smoked, I usually do 250-275 but I want to smoke these for 6 total hours, which is when my guests arrive.

Do you all use a glaze at the end? I don't foil them, I usually don't put sauce on at the end - I've mostly just done dry rub smokes.

I do have it split in two 1.5 lb racks.

For a glaze or homemade bbq sauce, I pulled together some stuff from the pantry:

Australian tea tree honey, Worcestershire, Chipotle Bourbon Maple Syrup, Gochujang, Soy, Mustard, Apple Cider Vinegar, Ketchup. Based off this what would you recommend?

Will upload pictures!
i do 3-2-1with foil, (cause Jess Pryles told me to. will probably switch to butcher paper instead of foil, as mine get over done (fall off th bone. The last stage i lightly baste with my own home made version of sweet baby rays. We like em sloppy/ MB 560 set at 325 but inkbird says 320 or thereabout s at grid.

Attachments

• IMG-3395.jpg
    IMG-3395.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 23
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky