Baby Back ribs one more try at unwrapped?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I have tried a couple of times no wrap and both times came out pretty tough. Ended putting in pressure cooker next day. I am at the 2:30 hour mark and started heating up the MES to finish but started to think maybe give one more try. The 2nd time tried misting. Seems like It took them off around the 195 mark. Any advice?

When I had a leftover half rack I put them in the SV at 205, man those bones slid right out. Next time I am going to try 200 or so.

I don't wrap baby backs. I mainly do them on the pellet pooper, and I've found cooking them above the grate level works better. I have the three tier camp chef jerky rack set up, and use the bottom one to do ribs and also salmon. I normally run them at 260-265 and they seem to be done a touch quicker and a bit more tender that way. Not sure why, just something I noticed when cooking them on the elevated rack. Occasionally I do them on the weber with the SnS and just let them ride till I see some tips of the bones then I start probing and hitting with the thermapen. I do not like FOTB ribs. Wrap / no wrap? Do what you like! I enjoy a little chew. I'm also one of the weirdos that doesn't occasionally mind when there is a huge hunk of loin meat still attached to the rack. Those make great breakfast leftovers at work.

Might help with a bit more detail. BBs can certainly be done successfully with an MES.

I using a RecTec to smoke than MES after wrap. I gun shy right now about no wrap. I should of let them ride but at the 3 hour mark I panic and wrap them. I will give another shot next time.

Just got done eating. These turned out to be the best ribs done in a long time. Perfect bite off the bone and so tender and juicy. Did 2 hour low smoke. 1 hour 250. Foil naked. Into MES at 275 for 1:45. Rest one hour. Guess I stick to what works for me.

IMG_20221130_162916795_HDR.jpg IMG_20221130_162920372_HDR.jpg IMG_20221130_163137008.jpg

Last edited:
Look awesome!! Yep, cook things the way you and your family like!! Doesn't matter if others disagree with the method!

Once they wrapped see no sense in using pellets. I got to save every penny I can now a days. No pay check in two years but just put in for my first IRA withdraw today. With market down took a big hit on that.
OK, so you just used the MES as an oven? With the cost of electric by me pellets might be cheaper...lol I really hear you on the costs and trying to conserve, squeak a penny any way you can brother.

BTW that whole meal looks great. Hopefully the weather cooperates this weekend and I will do an entire rack of spares on the MB gravity.

I agree to find something that works for you and use it. Myself, I have a Smoke-it #2 electric with very little air flow to dry stuff out. I can do BB at 225' for 6-7 hours then wrap and rest for an hour or so in a cooler to get them like we like. Yep, kinda "set it and forget it" till the timer goes off. Keep doing what works for you, sometimes making little changes and enjoy your smoking.

Great looking Ribs Cliff! It’s funny how you get into a routine and it’s hard to move out! I always cook my ribs without wrap. I like it wrapped, but the few times I’ve tried I didn’t like the texture. Now I keep wanting to do the wrap, but always chicken out🤣

OK, so you just used the MES as an oven? With the cost of electric by me pellets might be cheaper...lol I really hear you on the costs and trying to conserve, squeak a penny any way you can brother.

BTW that whole meal looks great. Hopefully the weather cooperates this weekend and I will do an entire rack of spares on the MB gravity.
I have always used the MES on everything once its wrapped. Luckly I got a great rate last time I switched. With that extreme heat we had this year bill never got over $140. Taking early retirement been tough money wise but would not trade it for the time. One more will get SS. Everything I have is paid for so does not take to much to get by though my vehicles are over 20 yo and would sure like a newer one!

Your ribs look delicious Brian!
I started using a water pan in my RT. It makes a huge difference in the cook. The CC stays moist and I’ve noticed that the meat never gets that dry look.
005F72AE-F6EF-470A-A103-05C1E0A73053.jpeg

Al

Reactions: 912smoker
Looks like great results Brian!
Never hurts to try a different plan but I usually return to my preferred method based on taste and results.

Keith

I've always had good results cooking unwrapped baby backs using the BRITU recipe.

Best Ribs in the Universe

I still wrap (St Louis ribs) for competitions or occasionally at home, but BRITU has become my go-to at home because it is so simple, and we really like the results.

I chickened out and wrapped. I know can get them good like this.
Bummer, What temp are you cooking at? I didn’t see it in the threads. I never wrap mine and run them to 195IT and are not FOB - but tender. If you FOB, temp needs to be higher or wrap I think. I never wrap so I am no expert on that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky