Awaiting their turn for Sous Vide!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SittingElf

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
I'm really going to town on various meets Sous Vide right now!
My freezer is full of meats awaiting their turn in the modified Sous Vide Cooler, and having a blast deciding what seasonings, smoking, and times to bring them to culinary fruition!

Tri-Tip currently at $2.48/lb at our supermarket (WINCO), primarily because it hasn't really taken hold yet in Oklahoma where we are stationed in the US Air Force. Forum posts are coming soon. (Three Tri-Tips, Two Top Roasts, One Bottom Roast, and one Chuck Roast.). May. buy more tri-tips while the price holds!!
Cheers!
MeatsToCook.jpg

Reactions: retfr8flyr
It's unfortunate you have to do so many tests.. Searching for the Holy Grail of smoked/sous-vide meats... Someone has to do it.. 1 beer.gif

Check out Bears threads, he has done extensive research on SV times & temps, and in most cases they are spot on.
Al

I didn't look specifically for tri-tip, but the following site does a great job doing sous vide cooks on various foods, using different times and temperatures, and then reporting on what time/temp combination produces the most satisfactory results.

Serious Eats Sous Vide

Sigh.... I decided to run back the next morning to buy some more Tri-Tips. And OF COURSE, the price had jumped back to the "normal" price...$5.48/lb. Never mind. Waiting for them to go on sale again sometime, and won't make the same mistake. I'll buy 'em all!

Check out Bears threads, he has done extensive research on SV times & temps, and in most cases they are spot on.
Al

Oh, I've been following his posts. It was a reference to him that brought me to this forum in the first place! Cheers!

I'm very familiar with pasteurization temps and times. Thanks!

I'm really going to town on various meets Sous Vide right now!
My freezer is full of meats awaiting their turn in the modified Sous Vide Cooler, and having a blast deciding what seasonings, smoking, and times to bring them to culinary fruition!

Tri-Tip currently at $2.48/lb at our supermarket (WINCO), primarily because it hasn't really taken hold yet in Oklahoma where we are stationed in the US Air Force. Forum posts are coming soon. (Three Tri-Tips, Two Top Roasts, One Bottom Roast, and one Chuck Roast.). May. buy more tri-tips while the price holds!!
Cheers!
View attachment 376773

SittingElf,

I am very interested in this topic but since i have four smokers, i think my wife would kill me if i invested into more "equipment".

I am also in Oklahoma live in Newalla and do most of my shopping on base at Tinker. I have had bad experiences with the local Walmart and Sams. i use to go to Crest but the price of meat there was way to high.

I still will try and sweet talk her into letting me get one.

I live in Oklahoma City and some of the best meat prices are at the Sprouts stores that have popped up all over the city and in Norman and Edmond. I have purchased Pork Loins for Canadian Bacon at .99 a pound and Pork Butts for Buckboard Bacon at $1.45 a pound. I picked up a slab of Beef Short Ribs at Sprouts and Sous Vide cooked them at 174 degrees and then smoked them for 6 hours at 225 degrees. The results were excellent and the ribs were very tender and the smoke amount was perfect!!! Watch for the weekly Sprouts ads on line or in the newspaper. I get all my different cheeses for cold smoking at Sprouts that are on sale each week for a lot less than regular price!!!!
mds51

Reactions: SittingElf
I live in Oklahoma City and some of the best meat prices are at the Sprouts stores that have popped up all over the city and in Norman and Edmond. I have purchased Pork Loins for Canadian Bacon at .99 a pound and Pork Butts for Buckboard Bacon at $1.45 a pound. I picked up a slab of Beef Short Ribs at Sprouts and Sous Vide cooked them at 174 degrees and then smoked them for 6 hours at 225 degrees. The results were excellent and the ribs were very tender and the smoke amount was perfect!!! Watch for the weekly Sprouts ads on line or in the newspaper. I get all my different cheeses for cold smoking at Sprouts that are on sale each week for a lot less than regular price!!!!
mds51

Thanks for the info!!

With new tariffs and a meat surplus many predict lower meat prices this fall and winter.

When I'm buying specific cuts of meat , I have a loop that I run to find the best product at the best price. Sprouts will now be added to my list.
Base Commissary, WinCo, Crest, Sams, Aldi, US Foods Chef's Store, and now Sprouts as well! Thanks for that...still learning the area around OKC. Just got here in June.

Bought two 15lbs Packer Briskets (Very nice ones!) at US Foods Chef's Store yesterday for $2.62/lb on sale. Trimmed and frozen last night in prep for a hosted progressive neighborhood dinner on the 20th of October. They'll be a 3-hour cold smoke, then 41 hour Sous Vide and the points made into burnt ends. I sear after sous vide with a weed killer flamethrower!
flamethrower2.jpg

Last edited:
When I'm buying specific cuts of meat , I have a loop that I run to find the best product at the best price. Sprouts will now be added to my list.
Base Commissary, WinCo, Crest, Sams, Aldi, US Foods Chef's Store, and now Sprouts as well! Thanks for that...still learning the area around OKC. Just got here in June.

Bought two 15lbs Packer Briskets (Very nice ones!) at US Foods Chef's Store yesterday for $2.62/lb on sale. Trimmed and frozen last night in prep for a hosted progressive neighborhood dinner on the 20th of October. They'll be a 3-hour cold smoke, then 41 hour Sous Vide and the points made into burnt ends. I sear after sous vide with a weed killer flamethrower!
View attachment 376999
I'm going to get one for a one pound propane tank for post sou vide searing and weeds. It keeps slipping my mind.

That is a Classic!!! I have one of those from my days of lighting Bon Fires at our school Pep Rallies in Ohio. My roofing contractor gave me one to use and I never gave it back!!! I will try it on a Chuck Roast I am going to Sous Vide and then Grill ala Roofing Torch!!!!
mds51

I'm going to get one for a one pound propane tank for post sou vide searing and weeds. It keeps slipping my mind.

Available at Harbor Freight made by Greenway. Two models. One self-igniting, and the other requires a lighter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky