sous vide skirt steak fajitas for Memorial day.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
di another round with my #inkbird sous vide appliance... this time skirt steak for fajitas. I'm learning you have to ignore grilling physics and trust the process. As most of you know, a good 8-10 hour marinade of a decent skirt steak and a grill set to Hell will yield a nice sliceable piece of meat in short order. After perusing many sites for sous vide recommendations for skirt I decided to morph them all and see what happens. i started with an overnight marinade with teryaki, wash-your-sister sauce lime juice, and a little balsamic italian salad dressing. In after thoughts I would leave out the citrus for this cut. Citrus REALLY breaks down the meat which is good for flash searing. not so much for a sous vide ride. Even though the skirt was virtually unsliceable, the pile on the left is going to make some mac-daddy Philly Cheese steak sammies. skirt does NOT need 20 hours in the bath, unless you want to fully refrigerate before slicing. Only only good thing about pot roast consistency is I put a smll skillet in the oven to keep the skirt hot, because I abhore not hot food. I also need to work on my food photography.

So , from my experience sous vide for skirt is directly proportional to the ht you have to sear it on nd marinade time..
Happy Memorial Day, and thank you for those that gave all. John

sv skirt.jpg

IMG-3483.jpg

In the world of skirt steak, there is outside skirt (served by most restaurants, food trucks etc.) and inside skirt steak which is less expensive, less marbled and way tougher than outside skirt steak.

In the world of thirdeye, the substitute for skirt steak is sirloin flap. Good beefy flavor and very easy to cook. I SV a sirloin flap for 3 hours (non marinated or marinated), then grill finish.

That looks tasty to me! I’m a huge lime with red meat fan, but it sounds like you’re getting dialed in! I think that looks delicious and an awesome job!

Thanks for reporting your experience FX. It adds to the site knowledge.

Point
In the world of skirt steak, there is outside skirt (served by most restaurants, food trucks etc.) and inside skirt steak which is less expensive, less marbled and way tougher than outside skirt steak.

In the world of thirdeye, the substitute for skirt steak is sirloin flap. Good beefy flavor and very easy to cook. I SV a sirloin flap for 3 hours (non marinated or marinated), then grill finish.

Thanks for your insight Thirdeye. I always learn from your input.

Point

I wonder how long it will be before I buy a sous vide.......
Yeah I know......Looking at what kitchen gadgets I dont use that will donate the space. My son has gotten into Sous Vide and loves it.
Oh, and those tacos look killer.
Jim

Reactions: TH-n-PA
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky