Auber Temp Control for Char-Griller Acorn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sctdg35

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 10, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Today installed an Auber SYL-1615SYS-G Temperature controller on my Char-Griller Acorn . Nothing to really do but set blower in bottom draft control channel and attach wires and temp probe . When I first got it going Fire went out in about 30 minutes . MY FAULT! I initially had top draft opened too much ,over shot temp and then shut it down WAAAY too much . Put out fire !!! Restarted it again found the sweet spot for top vent opening and (knock on wood) it works like a dream . Fire size was small ,about 1/4 of what would be normal. Set it for 232 ,and watched it maintain temp of 233-227 . Never have I been able to cook with charcoal with such ease . Between the Acorn and the Auber this is one kick A#% setup . To say I am happy with my purchase would be an understatement .

sct, morning........  we need pictures......  That is a priority on this forum..... PICTURES....    pictures help us old folks.....   Dave

Well I did my first brisket yesterday using the Char-Griller Acorn and the Auber temp control .First I have to say that I can't do the Q view thing .I can describe what I did and take it from there .

Picked up a flat brisket from BJ'S ,7.5 # .Not big but it is for my girlfriend and me ,more than enough . Got up at 5:30 am and started .Let brisket rest out of fridge while I lit fire .Royal Oak Lump charcoal,also Hickory and apple and mesquite chunks .Then I used a mixture of (no measurements here) beef broth ,Apple juice and Lawry's Signature Steakhouse with Worcestershire Sauce .Just smelled it as I went along ,when it smelled right mix was done Did same with picking out spices..Sounds crazy but that is how I usually cook ,being an ex Scout Dog handler in the Army I learned to use my nose over all senses .

Found Lawry's at stop and shop on way home from buying brisket . At the same time also found Stubbs Bar-B-Q All Natural Spice Rub and picked up Celery seed which I read about on this web site . Oh yeah also some Smoked paprika and Cayenne pepper . So I poured liquid concoction on brisket ,rubbed dry stuff on it liberally and voila it was ready to go. Grill and auber were doing their thing ,set a pan with two bottles of beer on deflector plate under brisket and waited . Turned on some good music put out a couple of chairs and cracked open several to say the least ,adult refreshments . Cooked at 230 deg. started fat cap down flipped once ,mopped twice with the left over broth concoction and at 9 hours meat temp came up to 178 and stayed . This was after it stalled . So I did what folks here said and foiled it . Came up to 195 in about 1.5 hr and off it came . It turned out to be one of the best pieces of meat I ever had and that is also from my girlfriend.Fat cap came off like scooping warm butter .Slices easily broke apart in your hands .It was absolutely amazing.When I bought it was afraid I had flushed $32 down the toilet .Best cook in a long time just considering how much my girlfriend enjoyed it .The Auber and Char-Griller are a perfect match .

PS. Had a perfect Bark ,was a little worried because of the use of beer in pan .

Last edited:
SCT, morning.....   sounds as if you have a great start with your smoker....   and the brisket sounds good to me....    

Dave

Dave I have to say that I looked at that Char-griller for months at BJ's believing the cheap price went along with the quality of how it cooked. Then I saw some people's reviews on this and other sites and when the price came down to $235 with deflector plate and cover I could not pass it up . Well I am very glad I got it . I will surely be making another brisket and lots of other things.

Thanks

Bob

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky