Atomic buffalo turds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those look interesting! Was a little afraid to find out what a buffalo turd was?
Someone have a recipe? Is this kind of a cheese stuffed bacon wrapped jalepeno popper?

Welcome to the forum Vlap. Good to have you here with us. Here is the recipe I used.

Atomic Buffalo Turds

10 fresh Jalapenos
8 oz block cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 C finely grated sharp cheddar
1 Tbsp dry onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp barbecue rub
1 lb bacon, thin cut

Wearing gloves, cut jalapenos in half, remove stem, seeds, and white ribs. Mix cream cheese, grated cheddar, dry spices, rub, and honey. Fill jalapeno halves with cheese mixture, then wrap each in a slice (or half slice, if using smaller jalapenos) of bacon.

Light 1/2 chimney of Kingsford and assemble smoker with empty water pan. Add 1-2 chunks of fruitwood (apple or cherry) and adjust vents to achieve 300*F at grate. Smoke at 300F for 30 minutes, or until bacon is golden brown. Serve and eat!

I like to put a little sauteed sausage into the fray, and Mix mascarpone cheese w/ the creamcheese 50:50.

Darn there goes tht food A.D.D. again.
PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif
sorry.

Abigal -

I have made the ABT's just chopping the tops off and cut in half and no matter how carful I am when I don't cut them in half there hotter then al get out and my family complains. If I cut them in half I can see the whole thing and get out all the seed and memrain and no tears!

I like mine just cream cheese, crumbled smoked fatty wrapped in slightly precooked bacon best. Got have a little crunch to my peppers - I don't ejoy them soft.

we did some on Wednesday using biker billy jap's.
icon_eek.gif
Wow were they hot. Hubby does hot very well and he even broke a sweat. We just mixed cream cheese with some homemade salsa (drained of extra juice) stuffed em, bacon'd em, smoked em'...I've already done them with a breakfast sausage piece and pepper jack stick. We have a chile grill so I leave mine whole and just cut off the top...

Cut in half, layin a half shrimp that's split lengthwise, then creamcheese, wrap w/ bacon and you have an Oklahoma Armadillo Egg. Better yet use ripe (red) Japs. They're sweeter.

PDT_Armataz_01_14.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_14.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_14.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_14.gif
I was reading your signature info and wondering if you were Hank Hill's alter ego (everything modified to propane) until I read the line about not many choices in the great white north. I think I'd be burning a lot of wood before I converted everything to propane.

Have you ever considered building a burn barrel, burning wood, and scooping coals for cooking? It'd help keep you warm in the winter too.

I have found it is cheaper and easier to use propane for my heat source. I live in the city (no pick-up truck). Also, here there is not much variety as yet with charcoal and as I found out this summer, our propane is cheaper than in the states.
When I first started, I didn't know squat about using charcoal. I'm now thinking of removing the propane from my offset and trying it there.
A burn barrel wouldn't be sucha good idea in my neighborhood.
Oh, and the Smoke Vault hasn't been converted ... it came that way!

Amazing! Just mention a fresh Jalapeno and they come out of the woodwork. It can only mean that the chile strikes many a taste bud, including mine.

I made my first abt's this weekend. All I can say is "where have these been all my life???" Holy crudola batman! 24 turds took longer to make than eat! Incredible!!!
I see mention of some different chiles used in the making. Anyone try a poblano or new mexico?

pictures of this weekends smoke will follow later in the pork thread.

yellow wax........we call em sweet bananna peppers, werk GREAT

doesn't have to have a "kick" to make a great abt
to me its the stuffing you use

Wd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky