at what temerature to smoke beef jerky with the pitboss classic?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

electrified sheep

Original poster
Nov 8, 2019
there is the smoke setting and 95 degrees c settings which are the lowest temperature.
i need to use?

thanks

Last edited:
Use the lowest temp for the most smoke, use the bend test to determine when you have it dried out enuf, take good notes on time and temp so you can adjust the next time, it will be around 160 depending on temps at your house more than likely , my dehydrator has a high temp of 170 I think .

Somewhere I read a study on nasties killing when smoking meat. Someone like chef jimmy or daveomack will jump in with more knowledge but here goes from bad memory. I think the meat needs to see 160F or so for 30 or more minutes to kill bad stuff. I've made a lot jerky and always got the dehydrator to that mark and held it for about 1 hour then backed of to 140 -150 until done to my liking. I have always done whole muscle meat. Ground and formed maybe different since bad things can get inside the meat and not just on top.

I have a rec tec and smoke my jerky at 180 for 3 hours then 225 till dry to my liking. time depends on the thickness.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky