Asian Style Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
Yesterday my wife wanted me to do a pulled pork with an Asian flair. So, I 45 deg scored it and dusted it with my Asian rub...
52FD076D-6B20-4CC6-AFEA-7634133042E3.jpeg

Next was setting up a braising liquid,
A859503F-1930-493C-9FAD-4D5F2CE28C12.jpeg

I just winged the amounts, the can of coke, about 1/3 cup soy, 2C broth, 2 Tbsp hosin & oyster, and 1 Tbsp veg base.... This had a nice light flavor that would reduce nicely....

It went on the RT 1250 @ 265.... Note this went on at 9:30 am.
A223B66B-F0DB-441D-A01B-66547A5BE2FF.jpeg

Progress check, about 12:30 and INT of 140....
115488D7-E80A-48C5-85F8-B71F2BAC286C.jpeg

Bingo, @ 2:30 It was at a INT of 170....
EDB0ACC8-B17F-41FC-BF20-A5464C8AF476.jpeg

In the boat for the braising......
4F0DCDD6-DAF7-4CD5-AD74-68B45E9F7347.jpeg

Once it hit 205 @ 5pm it went in the house oven at 145 till it was time to pull.....the pull time was 5:40.... yum!
0BEF4025-0B86-4338-BBCB-39E9F95113DC.jpeg

The reduced braising liquid was just the perfect amount of sweetness and savoryness!!!!

The pull! The excess braising liquid was used as a finishing sauce.....I only used about 2/3s of it.....
E24122A2-061D-4AB5-B854-1BC5331335E7.jpeg

No onto what my wife had up her sleeve...... She made a gochujang sauce and some sriracha aioli to top it off...... The bowl is made from Jasimine rice, cabbage, pork, then the sauces, seeds, GO's and chopped parsley......

551E96F6-C35C-4855-AED8-464BEECE3B01.jpeg

These flavors were perfect together, the Asian spices have a way of toning down the richness of the PP, this was a fresh and light tasting bowl.... Just not what you expect from pulled pork..... These spices have a similar effect on brisket.....

and of coarse the money shot!
BA12DA87-8537-4E96-9AFA-A018C106A5D3.jpeg

I am duly impressed!! That is nothing short of amazing. Seems as though we have a run going of Asian foods, and that's a beautiful thing. Very nice job and kudos to your wife for adding the perfect finishing touches.

Robert

Man that looks killer. Gonna have to try this. Thanks!
Thanks Bakerman! I added the timing because this method works every time and gives perfect PP for dinner, they don't have to be a 12 to 14 hour cool!
I’ve seen a lot of great posts on here, but this may be my new favorite. Love pulled pork, love Asian cuisines, and love jasmine rice.
Thanks CPAC! These combinations are perfect together! This is perfect for Bao buns as well!
Man we need a drooling emoji on here. That is a great looking meal and love the asian lean to it!

Jim
Many thanks Jim, you mean like this one...... 🤤
Great looking plate, I'd be all over that, nice work! RAY
Thanks RAY!
I am duly impressed!! That is nothing short of amazing. Seems as though we have a run going of Asian foods, and that's a beautiful thing. Very nice job and kudos to your wife for adding the perfect finishing touches.

Robert
Thanks Robert! Yes the Asian flavors are amazing and usually have less sugar and lighter so it equals to eating more......
This looks so amazing!

Congratulations on the Feature too!!
Many thanks KC, just really glad I can share with others!

Reactions: kilo charlie
Thanks Robert! Yes the Asian flavors are amazing and usually have less sugar and lighter so it equals to eating more......
Yes sir!! Not gonna do a whole thread on these but this is what I did last night to keep the Asian theme going here. Spicy sweet and sour meatballs. Man these were good. Nothing like what you did, but we sure did enjoy them.

007.jpg

Robert

Yesterday my wife wanted me to do a pulled pork with an Asian flair. So, I 45 deg scored it and dusted it with my Asian rub...
View attachment 654763

Next was setting up a braising liquid,
View attachment 654764
I just winged the amounts, the can of coke, about 1/3 cup soy, 2C broth, 2 Tbsp hosin & oyster, and 1 Tbsp veg base.... This had a nice light flavor that would reduce nicely....

It went on the RT 1250 @ 265.... Note this went on at 9:30 am.
View attachment 654765

Progress check, about 12:30 and INT of 140....
View attachment 654766

Bingo, @ 2:30 It was at a INT of 170....View attachment 654767
In the boat for the braising......
View attachment 654769

Once it hit 205 @ 5pm it went in the house oven at 145 till it was time to pull.....the pull time was 5:40.... yum!
View attachment 654770
The reduced braising liquid was just the perfect amount of sweetness and savoryness!!!!

The pull! The excess braising liquid was used as a finishing sauce.....I only used about 2/3s of it.....
View attachment 654771

No onto what my wife had up her sleeve...... She made a gochujang sauce and some sriracha aioli to top it off...... The bowl is made from Jasimine rice, cabbage, pork, then the sauces, seeds, GO's and chopped parsley......

View attachment 654772

These flavors were perfect together, the Asian spices have a way of toning down the richness of the PP, this was a fresh and light tasting bowl.... Just not what you expect from pulled pork..... These spices have a similar effect on brisket.....

and of coarse the money shot!
View attachment 654773
Oh yeah, that’s a great plate

Wow! Out of the park with that one! Really killer flavors and presentation 😃 big points and congrats on a well deserved ride🤘

This looks awesome CS! The wife and I try to eat healthy by doing a lot of rice, grain or bean bowls. This Asian pulled pork would work perfectly with them. I could definitely make this to portion and freeze. I gotta do this soon.

Love the spin on pulled pork. I’m always looking for ways to prepare it during a smoke or post smoke thst are off the beaten path. You nailed it! Do you use 5 spice in the rub? I feel like I’ve asked you that before ……

Love the spin on pulled pork. I’m always looking for ways to prepare it during a smoke or post smoke thst are off the beaten path. You nailed it! Do you use 5 spice in the rub? I feel like I’ve asked you that before ……
Thanks jcam!

Here is the rub mixture. The 5 spice is the bright note. The real game changers are the tomato powder and nori dust..... these two are just bam bam to the flavor profile!

1/4c. Smoked paprika, gran Onion, gran garlic, turbinado cane sugar.
2 Tbsp brown sugar, gran sugar
1 1/2 Tsp five spice,
2 Tsp gochugaru Korean style red pepper
1/2 Tsp ginger, lemon pepper
1 Tbsp Japanese seven spice
1 Tbsp & 1 Tsp kosher salt coarse
1 Tbsp mushroom powder - optional
1 Tbsp 1tsp tomato powder
1/2 Tbsp nori dust (1 Tbsp flakes in spice grinder).

Reactions: Steve H and jcam222
Yes sir!! Not gonna do a whole thread on these but this is what I did last night to keep the Asian theme going here. Spicy sweet and sour meatballs. Man these were good. Nothing like what you did, but we sure did enjoy them.

View attachment 654829

Robert
Robert that sure does look good! I would certainly join you for a plate of that!

Thanks!
Oh yeah, that’s a great plate
Thanks Bb-q!
Wow! That looks awesome civil!!!!!
Thanks Keith! This will be a regular menu item moving forward for sure!
Wow! Out of the park with that one! Really killer flavors and presentation 😃 big points and congrats on a well deserved ride🤘
Many thanks Jed! Its a great flavor for pork and adds Varity to the smoked meat table for sure!

This looks awesome CS! The wife and I try to eat healthy by doing a lot of rice, grain or bean bowls. This Asian pulled pork would work perfectly with them. I could definitely make this to portion and freeze. I gotta do this soon.
Thanks XR! Oh yes this is perfect for the rice/grain bowls, it would be perfect on a lettuce wrap as well or over a salad..... The Asian tone really opens it up to more than just BBQ sauce!
That's a great looking plate of food! Great job!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, much apreciated!
looks amazing! would love to have some of that, nice work!!
Many thanks tbern, it is a really easy cook and cheap....ie the shoulder was $12....So once you add all the other stuff, like $1 to 1.5 per helping.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky