Asian style pork chops - very umami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

letthemeatrest

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Springfield, VA
Freestyled a quick and easy pork chop meal today... it was a 6.5lb rack of pork from costco that i cut up into 1.25 - 1.5 inch thick pork chops

Marinade:
  • 50% oyster sauce
  • 40% soy sauce
  • 5% fish sauce
  • 5% sesame oil
  • spoon of minced garlic
  • a squeeze of hoisin sauce
  • a spoon of cayenne powder
  • a spoon black pepper
i made 5 ounces of marinade

No brining or anything, straight out of packaging and sliced, marinated in mixing bowl on counter for an hour.

Propane grilled:
  • medium high heat
  • 4 min sear on first side
  • 4 min sear on flip side
  • kept lid closed
  • flipped every minute or two to keep from burning, direct heat entire time, until done
My grill doesn't cook evenly so some were 155ish-160 when i hit it with the probe.

Wasn't tough/dry but wasn't 'juicy' either, was tender, and had a good bite.. the flavor was amazing and complemented the pork very well!!!! hope you guys try this marinade -- i will be using it more often

IMG_7562.jpeg

Things to improve next time:

watch temps more closely to try to get it more tender/juicy..
use more marinade (my pork chops were barely covered and mixing bowl was dry of marinade after i put the meat on the grill)..

Last edited:
Looks delicious and now I'm thinking that I could maybe adapt that for a vac seal, and sous vide ride before searing. I pretty much do chops in sous vide these days, as they are fork tender when done.

Looks delicious and now I'm thinking that I could maybe adapt that for a vac seal, and sous vide ride before searing. I pretty much do chops in sous vide these days, as they are fork tender when done.

that sounds like a good combo, but leave some extra room to get a good sear so the marinade can glaze over

Reactions: DougE
Maybe a healthy dose on each chop per bag, chuck in the freezer to firm up before vac sealing, and go from there by either freezing for later, or straight into the pot.

Maybe a healthy dose on each chop per bag, chuck in the freezer to firm up before vac sealing, and go from there by either freezing for later, or straight into the pot.
if you try it definitely let us know how it goes, i am curious myself!

I don't own a SV so i haven't experimented much with them and not sure how marinades react to freezing, but i would say with soy sauce to not marinade for too long (over 24hrs), it's very good at penetrating the meat.

DougE, for SV if you marinade and freeze does it stop marinating until it thaws out again? just wondering because I have never tried that before and now curious to how it reacts to acids and stuff that start breaking down the meat

DougE, for SV if you marinade and freeze does it stop marinating until it thaws out again? just wondering because I have never tried that before and now curious to how it reacts to acids and stuff that start breaking down the meat
I'm going to say that I don't know. I do routinely apply spices/rubs to meat before vac sealing and freezing for later cooking in SV and it works fine, but I haven't tried it with liquid component like a marinade.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky