Asian Pear wood for smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

otis857

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Has anyone here used pear wood, specifically Asian pear for smoking? I have an Asian Pear tree that Im thinking about cutting down this winter and it will provide many years of smoking wood. Its too bad, because this tree puts out lots of pears every year, but Asian pears are hard, never soften up and have an unusual flavor compared to Bartlet or other sweeter pears. The tree's going down regardless.

Actually, I tried smoking a Turkey breast to try a different rub combination for Thanksgiving along with some chicken drumsticks today. They came out tasty and the wood had a mild smell that worked quite well with poultry.

I would think it is a mild wood that would be good with fish or poultry 

Given that yesterday's smoke convinced me that it tastes good an smells really good,, here's a local pick up deal. If anyone here lives in the Phoenix area, when I cut the tree down this winter, you can come and get some of it. THere will be a lot more wood than I can use. Price is right - the "U want it, U haul it" rate. Otherwise what I dont save will go to the dump.  If your interested, PM me and I'll let you know when the tree is going down.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky