Asian Inspired Ground Beef Tacos.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
My apologies because this meal was meant for the Blackstone Griddle but with rolling T-Storms, I didn't want to be standing on my uncovered porch watching hot oil and water mix. I ended up doing this on the stove inside. That's all a griddle is, a big flat pan right?

Started off with a quick pickle of sliced radishes and cucumbers. Salt, pepper and 1tsp. of sugar, cover with white wine vinegar, mix and set aside.
IMG_4906.jpg

Next, in a separate bowl I mixed low sodium soy sauce, sesame oil, sriracha, grated ginger and garlic, white wine vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes and a bit of cornstarch.
IMG_4907.jpg

This is a fast meal, that's why I opted for the griddle at first. Start my sauteing purple cabbage (I buy the pre-shredded slaw mix) and green onions until slightly softened.
IMG_4908.jpg

Add 1lb of ground beef. I seasoned it with some garlic powder and black pepper.
IMG_4909.jpg

Once the beef is browned, mix everything together and cook a few minutes more. Turn down heat and add the sauce. Cook until slightly thickened.
IMG_4910.jpg

I opted for flour tortillas here instead of corn. I didn't think the corn would bode well with the Asian flavors of the dish. Tacos were assembled with flour tortillas, a mixture of sour cream, sriracha and chili flakes spooned in the bottom, beef and cabbage filling then topped with the quick pickled vegetables, some leftover cilantro and sriracha sauce on top.
IMG_4913.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Joe

Joe, great take on a taco! I love Asian flavors......i love tacos.....seems like a pefect combo to me! I think it was a good choice on the flour and not the corn with those. The first thing I thought of was maybe using wonton wraps??? Or egg roll raps?. Could fry them then stuff in a taco holder before the get stiff. I may just have to play around with this! Lol! BIG BIG LIKE!

looks great joe, can say I never had a taco like that. which way those storms headed, hope ya didn't send them my way.

Another big like from me. Everything looks delicious. I like the Asian mashup with the flour tortillas and Sriracha. Nailed it joe

Joe, great take on a taco! I love Asian flavors......i love tacos.....seems like a pefect combo to me! I think it was a good choice on the flour and not the corn with those. The first thing I thought of was maybe using wonton wraps??? Or egg roll raps?. Could fry them then stuff in a taco holder before the get stiff. I may just have to play around with this! Lol! BIG BIG LIKE!

The wonton/egg roll wraps sound like a massive upgrade Travis! I never thought to use them because I’ve never worked with them. Truth is I didn’t plan that much ahead.

Thanks for the wonderful idea and if you make them your way, make sure I don’t miss those!!

Reactions: Sowsage
looks great joe, can say I never had a taco like that. which way those storms headed, hope ya didn't send them my way.

Thanks Jim! A few south of Wilkes-Barre. It got pretty dark here and had a brief downpour for about 5 minutes. Of course it happens at dinnertime. If I was on the grill or smoker, I wouldn’t mind but the griddle is totally exposed.

I'll take 3 Joe. They look awesome, but hold the cabbage!

Dave

Thanks Dave! Cabbage can easily be left out! I used it for a bit extra crunch and to stretch the taco filling out a bit. Shredded carrot would work too!

Thanks Jim! A few south of Wilkes-Barre. It got pretty dark here and had a brief downpour for about 5 minutes. Of course it happens at dinnertime. If I was on the grill or smoker, I wouldn’t mind but the griddle is totally exposed.

Thanks Dave! Cabbage can easily be left out! I used it for a bit extra crunch and to stretch the taco filling out a bit. Shredded carrot would work too!
I could easily do the shredded carrot!

Reactions: xray
Another big like from me. Everything looks delicious. I like the Asian mashup with the flour tortillas and Sriracha. Nailed it joe

Thank you Jake! Definitely a lot of Asian flavor but in taco form. I figured flour tortilla is more neutral but Travis had awesome idea of using egg roll wrappers.

Very nice !

Thanks Chop! Thought about pressing some corn tortillas out but went with flour instead. You still using the press?

YEAP! I would definitely try this! Nailed it!

Thanks Yankee! They’re quite tasty and different at the same time.

Looks good Joe!! I love foods that are a fusion of different regions of food

Thanks Jeff! For a fusion I would consider these pretty tame. Maybe I’ll break out the fish sauce next time!

Thanks Chop! Thought about pressing some corn tortillas out but went with flour instead. You still using the press?

Flour works better with some stuff .
Did a big batch of corn the other night . The press works great .
I'm in the shop right now working on another one .

Da LIKE! Fusion is so much fun.
I've been using cabbage in stir fry for years. It also goes well in a quick Asian pickle.
Flour tortilla kinda mimics a Vietnamese (French) roll for Bahn Mi. Better choice than corn tortilla.
Outside of baby corn, I don't use corn meal or batter in Asian cooking.
I use Japanese Tamari and coconut amino to cut the sodium

Well. Damn. My list just got longer! That is over the top. Like!

Yep!! I know what you mean Steve. This meal looks outrageously good!! Excellent job Joe and some beautiful food my friend. Cannot wait to work this one into the rotation...and it'll happen pretty soon I can promise you that.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky