Ash covering grates common issue?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Alds

Original poster
Jun 26, 2020
Been a while since my first post, have since abandoned the old dyno glo showing in the profile pic and upgrade to a Pitboss 1150pro. Fired it up, did a burn off and seasoned it and smoking the first time with it tomorrow.

Here’s the question: After the burn off and again after the seasoning it seemed like there was a decent amount of ash/dust on the heat deflector, grates, etc. Is that a common thing with pellets? Can I expect to see that usually or was it because of the higher temp used. If it’s common, any concerns with it getting into your food?

Was running a bit above 400 for around 40 mins or so, with Pitboss brand cherry pellets. Maybe a cm of ash inside the cup to get emptied after each timeAny suggestions or insights appreciate!

Nature of the beast. I clean the burn cup usually every time, because most of my use is under 300° for extended time. Never noticed ash on the meat.
I use a plastic putty knife and a whisk broom to knock loose accumulated ash then vacuum out the entire chamber every 3-4 cooks.

Reactions: chopsaw
Sounds good, first time firing it up just to do the initial burn off so from here on it’ll probably be mostly below 300 too. Thanks for the info!

Yep. Nature of the beast. I vac out my pellet pooper after every couple of cooks. I still get a little ash on my food. I call it "flavor" and live with it.

Mine is simple to clean , so I tend to do it after every cook . Some pellets will have more ash than others . I normally use B&B , but recently bought some Pit Boss charcoal pellets . They seem to leave more ash . I like the pellets , and still use them . Not preaching B&B not knocking Pit Boss . I use both , but maybe try some other brands if it's an issue for you .

I can't say that I've gotten ash on the grates, but I never run mine that high. Maybe I did on the initial burn in but I don't remember. I empty my pot every cook as it's easy and I shop vac out the rest every other cook or so depending on the length of those cooks. I don't think you have an issue, so get to smoking and lets see some pics!

Normal, but Lumber Jack and Bear Mountain pellets leave about half the amount of ash in cup and or around the smoker. They are a tighter press and way less dust in bag overall. I tried Pit Boss pellets when I ran out once and didn’t have time to drive an hour to get my 50 bags of LJ. They was ok but flavor and mess was way more noticeable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky