Art Deco Fridge Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Apollo78

Original poster
Jul 18, 2020
Picked up a late 30s GE cheap and in "good" condition for a build. I've read that electric is the way to go. I removed the compressor that was still charged and back plate. Does this look like a good candidate? Anyone have a parts list to convert? I currently use a Smoke Hollow propane and have a old one for various parts if they can be used.

Attachments

• 20200718_154505.jpg
    20200718_154505.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200718_154530.jpg
    20200718_154530.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 60
Wow, it was still working!
If it's late 30's, almost for sure the inner walls (and the inside of the door) are steel but it never hurts to verify. Newer ones with plastic interiors that need to be replaced are seldom worth the trouble. And It appears only one of your grates is usable but you can have a couple made. Do you have a budget for this project? Do you have 240V nearby? If only 120, is it a 15A or 20A service? Most of these 'fridge builds are electric (basically giant MES units) but nothing says you can't make it propane or even a charcoal box underneath.

Apollo,
Nice find. That is nearly identical to a build I did a couple years back (link below). Yours is apparently a few years older. I do not have a parts list per se but could probably help point you in the right direction if you are interested. I have never used the PM function but could probably figure it out. Let me know.
-HS

great find. You are in for a project. Look up my crosley fridge smoker on this forum. It was just over $600 before it was finished. Paid only $20 for the fridge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky