Apple Pie Smoked Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
I like a little sweetness on my turkeys, and found myself with the urge to do a little kitchen creativity. Lo and behold: The Apple Pie Smoked Turkey.

It all starts with the brine:
1 1/2 gallons of water
1/2 gallon of apple juice
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 16 oz. jar apple pie filling
2 Tbsp cure#1
IMG_20190526_172010.jpg

I used my own apple pie filling that I canned last summer, but I'm sure store bought would work just fine.

The amount for the cure#1 was borrowed from Pop's Brine that suggests 1 Tbsp per gallon of water.

I let the bird bathe in the brine for 2 days.
IMG_20190526_172839.jpg

After removing from the brine and rinsing, I struggled with what to rub the bird with. I settled on nothing. I ultimately decided that I wanted to know what the brine did without my taste buds battling with flavors from the rub.

I smoked it at 275° with apple wood (surprise surprise!) until I hit an internal temperature of 162°.
IMG_20190528_231930.jpg

After an hour rest it was tender, it was juicy, and it was apple pie-y. The apple pie flavor wasn't like a pop, but it was ever so subtle but still present. It was a beautiful compliment.
IMG_20190529_173126.jpg

What do y'all think would make a good rub for this recipe?

Last edited:
That looks wonderful preacher. I think that was a good call not rubbing. You now know what affect the brine had on the bird and could build from there.

Reactions: JC in GB
That looks great Preacher and I bet it taste better than it looks.
Like!

I'm thinking no rub, but going all the way with the apples and doing something like a glaze with minced apple, sweet onion, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and black pepper, or maybe put it under the skin.

That looks great Preacher and I bet it taste better than it looks.
Like!

I'm thinking no rub, but going all the way with the apples and doing something like a glaze with minced apple, sweet onion, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and black pepper, or maybe put it under the skin.
I knew I should've PM'ed you before I stuck it in the smoker.

Total experimentation here on my part, no recipe to work from.
Make a caramel sauce of butter and brown sugar, now add your homemade apple sauce and some finely minced sweet onion, keeping a thick consistency.
Now go really easy on the cinnamon and nutmeg, and even easier on the black pepper or cayenne.
That aught to do it.
Now a little under the skin just before going in the smoker, and then repeated bastings to build up a glaze from about midway to the end.

I don't know might be good with some work.
I like to cook by the seat of my pants.

Total experimentation here on my part, no recipe to work from.
Make a caramel sauce of butter and brown sugar, now add your homemade apple sauce and some finely minced sweet onion, keeping a thick consistency.
Now go really easy on the cinnamon and nutmeg, and even easier on the black pepper or cayenne.
That aught to do it.
Now a little under the skin just before going in the smoker, and then repeated bastings to build up a glaze from about midway to the end.

I don't know might be good with some work.
I like to cook by the seat of my pants.
I do the same. And I like the sound of this. I'm thinking I'd puree my apple pie filling (not sauce) to make it like an apple sauce. It's already heavy on the cinnamon. I didn't think about the nutmeg...

That was my last turkey I snagged at Thanksgiving. I'm gonna have to find me a nuther'n.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky