Anyone use a burch barrel?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ksmith9

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 8, 2020
On my drive to work I have seen an advertisement for the burch barrel. They are relatively expensive and I hadn't heard much about them prior to the advertisement. Has anyone cooked or tried something from a barrel?

Never used a wooden barrel but these work great!
IMG_0304.JPG

I would imagine that before the modern steel barrels the wooden ones were used exclusively.
Should be fun,

John

Reactions: Colin1230
Never heard of them before, but after looking, they look kind of like those solo stove fire pits on a tri-pod. And YES, they are quite pricey at over $1,000...

I do not own one but have seen them up close and watched them being used at cooking competitions and at upper class restaurants. They are a cool concept and may have their place for backyard hosting when you want a conversation piece or as part of the decor. I however, would not spend the $1k on one.

The Burch barrel comes from an area in Montana that caters to the upper levels of wealth and would venture to say the clientele they are pursuing is not so much about practical use but more as decor and impressions when hosting their friends from the cities who don’t know what they are looking at.

I had seen advertisements and was intrigued until I saw them up close. My impressions probably are somewhat swayed by the fact the food that came off of them was not all that great and I really could not detect any smoke or live fire flavor additions. Granted, the cooks should have more to do with the taste of food then the cooker.

Just my .2

I was thinking it couldn't be instilling more flavor then my GFS1050. does seem like something for the more uppity crowd. Wish I knew someone I could try cooking on but didn't seem worth it to me

I hadn't heard of them. Here's a link if you have $1200 and need another cooker:
https://burchbarrel.com/
Burch must be someone's name...the cooker is not constructed from birch or oak or anything like old smoke houses.
They highlight how it allows your friends to gather around you as you cook, but I have other cookers that permit that and with the heat we're having, most of my "friends" seem happy to stay in the cool house with my wife while I cook alone, so that feature isn't worth $1200 to me.
But if you're never quite sure where to put the lid of your cheap bullet smoker, this has a tall tripod design that will cure your woes. (I note my Weber kettle has a lid hook to address that problem and by golly it's a tripod design too.)

• Haha
Reactions: TNJAKE
Bring back the $50 El Cheapo Brinkmann. It has a door so you don't have to lift the grate to add more fuel, saving you the cost of the pulley system.

I have to confess John, I thought it was a wood barrel also. 😆
Doh! It's Burch, not birch.

It really is cool and would be fun to cook on but I don't have anybody that I need to impress.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky