anyone try mixing a rub with a mixer/whisk?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indygreg

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
i am about to make another batch of jeffs rub and it takes us forever to sift all the brown sugar to get the lumps out.  i would think a blender would just pack up in the bottom.  i am thinking of trying our industrial strength stand mixer with the whisk beaters.  any thoughts?

greg

I use one of those old porcelain pill crushers.

61fdae7a_istockphoto_10800522-pill-crusher.jpg

sucess.  i used our kitchenaid stand mixer and it worked well.  put the whisk beater in it.  way easier than sifting.  it had a few find lumps but no more than it gets doing it the other way and i apply the rub with a shaker can which has small holes that don't let any clumps come through. 

hope this helps someone.

greg

7d56ba31_1635234-1-2x.jpg

Substitute turbinado sugar for the brown sugar, it won't clump, has the same molasses content and carmelizes at a higher temp than BS. JM2C.

agree with cliffcarter. and we also use a kitchen aid mixer. because hell it is usually a lot of rub at one time. plus it's a ton easier to do. especially when brisket is one rub pork is another and yet chicken another still.

I used a whisk until a few weeks ago when I realized both of mine were in the dishwasher and I needed to get some rub mixed and on the meat before going out for the evening, so I grabbed my electric hand mixer and was done in a fraction of the time--not a lump to be seen.

The only time I'll be using a whisk again is if the beaters are in the dishwasher. or there's a power outage...

If you use a sugar bear it helps eliminate lumps in brown sugar - I too like turbanado but this really does work

41mlsfnl7OL.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky