anyone other than me

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
does anyone other than me sharpen their grinder plates and cutter ?
the way i do it is to put a sheet of 1200 grit emery cloth on a glass/mirror and polish them before
doing a large batch of meat

There are a few post on sharpening them & a Video
I've done it like you using a piece of glass to make sure the edges are true
Richie

Reactions: PPG1
i bought my meat grinder from harbor freight for about $ 69.00 years ago , since then i have ground well over 2000 lbs. of pork butts with it , i always polish the plates and cutter before starting a big batch and this is why i think it has lasted so long , ( its still going strong )

Last edited:
Reactions: PPG1
I got a spare plate and cutter when I bought my 1hp grinder from Cabelas over 15 years ago. I've made hundreds of pounds of sausage and burgers in that time, I've always thrown the entire cutting assembly into the freezer overnight before the grind, and most often the meat that was going got get ground for a couple of hours right before I had to get down to business. The spare plate and cutter are still brand new and in the package, take proper care of your gear and it'll last forever, it you bought good stuff originally. RAY

005.jpg

DSCN2371.JPG

Reactions: kruizer and PPG1
I haven't had to do any sharpening yet but I have a dedicated blade for each plate. Somewhere I read that it promotes an even wear . Something about hole size/spacing and lack of blade contact in that area. I don't know but I bought into it. Made sense to me at the time.

Gosh I guess I better sharpen my plates & knife!
Working good now, but I do have a lot of time on my hands, so why not!
A project for tomorrow!!
Al

when you start grinding meat you will be glad you did !!
sharp plates and cutter just makes meat go through it better

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky