Anybody used pear wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beggar

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
picayune,ms.
I just had a pear tree blow over. I was just looking for any post about pear tree wood.
Anybody used any. I would appreciate hearing about somebody using it.

Pear is a delightful wood to smoke with. Very aromatic, light smoke profile similar to apple, great on light proteins and vegetables. Just be sure it is fully cured before trying to use it.

Reactions: zwiller
I haven’t used it yet but I have a full feedbag of chunks I bought locally seasoning in the garage. I also have a very small pear tree that died I will be cutting up. I will use it for poultry probably.

I have some drying. Havent used it yet but a member here said he loves it.

Yeh i smoke regular with pear wood, have found it light, but tasty. Hard to oversmoke with this wood imo. Keep it to chicken and thinner meats. Anythink chunky like a butt or big chunk of beef you might want something a litter stronger like oak or hickory

Pear is a delightful wood to smoke with. Very aromatic, light smoke profile similar to apple, great on light proteins and vegetables. Just be sure it is fully cured before trying to use it.

+1; I was really into fruit woods when I started and ran them a long time. Later I found it too delicate and tried other stuff including blends. My results improved but still wasn't totally happy. I decided to try each wood I had as a matter of elimination and on a whim I tried oak and was instantly hooked. If you have a ton of it, maybe list some for trade or sale and get some other woods to experiment with. That said, pear could be "the one" for you.

Thanks to everyone for replying. It got me thinking about another question to ask on a new thread.

Mild like apple. Takes a while to season because it tends to be very wet when it comes down.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky