Anybody tried this ham?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Picked this up with thoughts of smoking it for lunch meat. Anyone ever tried this brand?

OI000048.jpg

Reactions: chef jimmyj
The McCoy's say it's no good.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Looks like you're our expert on Hatfield hams. Let us know what you think.

Took a second for that to sink in! Good one!

Isn't that a deli ham for sandwiches. It would make a great smoked ham salad.

Just my .02 cents.

Chris

Reactions: Steve H
The McCoy's say it's no good.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Looks like you're our expert on Hatfield hams. Let us know what you think.
That was my first thought as well!

Ryan

Thanks Jim. So, perhaps double smoking it may improve it some.
Why not try something new? Cut in 1" cubes and do some "ham burnt ends".....smoke the cubes for a couple hours then mix with a sauce and back on the smoker. U could use a ham glaze recipe for the sauce mixed with some butter and brown sugar....... maybe some pineapple.. Sorry just thinking outside the box lol!

Yup... that's a good candidate for the slicer since it's pretty much a deli ham (boneless).. Trim the skin/previous smoke from it so it will develop your own smoke/skin on it... run through slicer .. vac seal a few days worth in each pack... freeze ...

Also liking the idea of trying some ham burnt ends with a chunk of it ... ya got plenty there to sacrifice some for experimenting with ...

I've been eating Hatfield most of my life.
It's not bad, but around here the best is a Leidy's Ham, unless you can get ahold of a Double Smoked Ham, by The Bear. :emoji_bear:

I never liked a "Boneless Ham" though---Not enough Fat & tough skin!!

My 2 Piasters,
Bear

Why not try something new? Cut in 1" cubes and do some "ham burnt ends".....smoke the cubes for a couple hours then mix with a sauce and back on the smoker. U could use a ham glaze recipe for the sauce mixed with some butter and brown sugar....... maybe some pineapple.. Sorry just thinking outside the box lol!
Sheer genius Sowsage!!

I'd make 'em 1/2" cubes so they'll pick up more smoke flavor...increase the surface area-to-volume ratio. And I'd do the initial smoke on a 1/4" grid wire mesh, not pan, so the smoke is fully enveloping each cube. (You could put a pan a couple inches underneath to catch juices but for most processed hams like this I don't think you'll catch much but the water they saturate it with to maximize their profits per pound.)

And for sure on the pineapple in the glaze. The crushed variety. And maybe a little maple syrup. And a little fine ground coffee and pepper, but that's just me.

Hatfield is ok. Kunzler is better, found around East Central PA. I don't know its distribution range but the best tasting Boneless Ham in my area is from Sugardale. They are sold whole, portions and Deli Sliced. Sugardale Butt and Shank portion, Ham on the Bone, are great too. You won't be disappointed with any of the preparations suggested...JJ

Reactions: bill1 and Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky