Any one take Omeprazole or Prilosec?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pandemonium

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Florida
Just stopped taking it because i am without insurance and I have noticed a few things, just curious to talk to someone that has taken either for a few years. Yes I know I can buy it over the counter.

I take it, do a 14 day treatment then repeat 4 months later, and so on.  As it's OTC my insurance won't pay for it, I think it cost me at WallyWorld $20 for a full year's treatment on that schedule.  I take the generic, it's cheaper.

I've been taking it once daily for the past couple years, the OTC generic.  My insurance wouldn't cover the prescription without taking the OTC version for six months first, and once I did that I haven't gotten around to getting another checkup to get the prescription written.  I haven't noticed any ill effects, but not alot of positive effects either.  I can lay on the couch to watch TV without coughing my guts out, so I guess that's something.

With different insurance a few years ago, I tried prescription Prevacid twice daily for six months.  My share of the cost was $60 a month and it didn't seem to help me, so I stopped taking it.

I've been taking 40 mg of Nexium for 12 years now..... interesting and alarming read Squirrel.

Last edited:
I refuse to take any pills myself, I'd rather puke. Exercise, a good diet and no STRESS will do you good.
Well its not that easy for everyone meat, you dont have acid reflux or youd take these pills in a heart beat lol

I have been taking omeprozole for 20 years now.  EE will make you take these pills and be damn happy for them.  I don't get worked up over the sensationalizing of some of the outliers in the user group.

well i have had frequent urination for about a year and figured it was from getting old or diabetes lol i mean getting up at least three times a night, not to mention during the day, anyway since i stopped taking it i have slept like a baby!! no more waking up and crappy sleeping other than waking up with volcanic acid coming up uhg. I just read that it was a rare side effect.

PS i have been drinking the apple cider vinegar to see if that remedy works and im not sure yet on that.

Last edited:
its really putting a hurting on my beer drinking, beer whoops my but now, which might be a good thing to slow down on.

This was supposed to be a P.M. 

I don't want to bust balls but after looking at your killer grilling post's you use a lot of sodium...Soy Sauce. That stuff will kill ya quick. Heartburn is the result.  Just a mention bud, I ain't looking to bash.  

This was supposed to be a P.M. 

I don't want to bust balls but after looking at your killer grilling post's you use a lot of sodium...Soy Sauce. That stuff will kill ya quick. Heartburn is the result.  Just a mention bud, I ain't looking to bash.  
yes im no health nut lol i like salty greasy stuff ohh yeah and spicy is my favorite flavor lol

Last edited:
Cranberry juice kills me! It gives me the worst heartburn I have ever had, so I definitely quit that. I've changed my diet alot over the last couple of years and I don't have to take anything for heartburn anymore. You'd be surprised at how just a few simple changes can make a difference. Like nothing to eat or drink atleast 2 hours before bedtime. That is not as hard as you might think. Any time you eat or drink something you stimulate acid production. Some foods/beverages more than others. I guess it depends on how much you are willing to suffer with it. I had enough going on with the cancer crap to worry about heartburn. Plus, once you have had the Grim Reaper hanging around your bed it kinda puts the fear of God in ya and you tend to do whatever it takes to be healthy.

The one good thing I have going for me is I get my pleasure out of cooking all this good (bad for you) food and I might have a few bites but I give most everything away. I'm not a big eater. Thank goodness for that or I would be as big as a house. I've gained weight with some of the stupid meds I was on (not on them anymore, woohoo!) So, I'm back to jogging everyday, playing golf three times a week, yoga and lifting weights. My goal is to look and feel better at 47 than I did when I was 27! I know I can do it too. Y'all ain't gonna be able to tell my s#$t!!! LOL!

Since this is a big topic for lots of you guys and I love doing research, I'll keep on digging up stuff that you might find helpful or at the very least interesting info, cuz I love y'all like that! And I know how bad that crap can be sometimes. Yuck!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky