Any idea what this wood is?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fattygonnafat

Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Spring, Texas
Hi everyone. Just discovered this forum and thought I'd see if the collective experience can identify this wood. An older gentleman recently gave me a bunch of this seasoned wood, but he can't remember what it is. He thinks it is either apple or cherry. It's hardwood, and it's very light, unlike oak or hickory.

There are also a number of other irregular shaped chunks, none of which have any bark left on them. In fact, these 2 are the only round ones with bark, but it all appears to be the same wood.
Attach44735_20201020_143737.jpg

Any ideas?

It doesn’t look like Apple or cherry. Apple bark is smooth and very thin and cherry is darker. It actually looks like it might be starting to rot around the edges some which would make it lighter weight. Are you sure it isn’t pine?

It doesn’t look like Apple or cherry. Apple bark is smooth and very thin and cherry is darker. It actually looks like it might be starting to rot around the edges some which would make it lighter weight. Are you sure it isn’t pine?
I'm really not sure. The fella that gave it to me is getting up there in age and his memory ain't what it used to be. He swears it's either cherry (which it doesn't look like) or apple. Here's a picture of the barkless pieces. You can see the grain better on these.

We have a ton of pines in this area, and the grain doesn't look like pine. No knots. It appears striated.
IMG_20201020_201207823.jpg

Last edited:
I'll go out in the morning and take pics of my apple trees to compare. I have two varieties so that should give you a good idea as far as bark goes

Reactions: Fattygonnafat
By the grain of the wood or lack of grain it looks like a soft wood to me.

So your in TX, you have different trees then in PA I assume. So I cant help.

I'm with PC Farmer. Some sort of fast growth conifer. (Bark has a conifer look, too). Lots of punky sap wood, just inside the bark. Probably not a good smoke wood, in my estimation.

I am by no means a expert, but it almost has a pink color in the middle that reminds me of maple, plus the pictures without bark, it looks like a worm hole that I have noticed in maple firewood before. I worked in cabinetry business for 25 years plus and I always liked to try and figure out wood when I am helping cut it up or split it.

Hi everyone. Just discovered this forum and thought I'd see if the collective experience can identify this wood. An older gentleman recently gave me a bunch of this seasoned wood, but he can't remember what it is. He thinks it is either apple or cherry. It's hardwood, and it's very light, unlike oak or hickory.

There are also a number of other irregular shaped chunks, none of which have any bark left on them. In fact, these 2 are the only round ones with bark, but it all appears to be the same wood.View attachment 467468

Any ideas?
Could it be pecan?

I have used the app plant snap to take a picture of different trees, leaves and I also have used it on the bark of trees. Give it a try if you can download apps on your phone. It isn’t correct 100% of the time. Most of the time it is spot on. Maybe give that a try.

I Had a one man Cabinet shop for 20 years, but most of my dealings with species recognition would be of a debarked side view.
Your first picture is of Bark & End grain, and since I'm not a bark expert, all I can say is if that end grain we see is either Cherry or Apple, it would have to be Apple, but it looks more like Maple.

As for the second picture, that's not Grain we're looking at, that's weathering stain hiding any grain that would be seen on the outside surface.

Not much help from me, but all dealings I've had with wood has been surfaced boards of Pine & all Hardwoods used in Cabinets.

Bear

There are also a number of other irregular shaped chunks, none of which have any bark left on them. In fact, these 2 are the only round ones with bark, but it all appears to be the same wood.View attachment 467468

Any ideas?
This is apple bark. So you can definitely rule that out
IMG_20201021_114721.jpg

Reactions: smokin peachey
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky