Any good Bar-B-chef mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jethro

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Tucson, Arizona
Greetings once again from the Great State of Arizona. I just added a Bar-B-Chef offset to the line up and was wondering about any good moifications that y'all might have done. It seems to hold tempature real well until 'bout the 4 hour mark then drops off and I have a hard time getting temps up. seems like too much ash in the fire box is preventing proper air flow or something. I did use the charcoal ring out of my WSM to keep coals from falling out the slide vent (design flaw). I'm sure using lump would reduce the ash but any other help would be great. Thanks.

Jethro-
I have the BBChef offset with the following mods that I added:1) chimney down to grate level using flashing(Home Depot) 2) moved thermo from top off cooker door to grate level, 3) added damper from firebox to cook chamber (Home Depot) 4) charcoal basket -12x24 1/2" corrugated bent to fit firebox(Home Depot) 5) use aluminum foil around firebox and cooking chamber doors for a better air tight seal. And then just practice, practice, practice. Also I use the Minion method of stacking the lump charcoal in the firebox. It seems to work longer. Good Luck.

Les

Thanks everyone, I did get the link to work finally, don't know what the problem was. Just a little technologically challenged I guess. Porky I guess mine must be a diffent version than yours, chimney is already lowered near the grate and thermometor is already where you said to put it. Next step is a charcoal basket and try some lump. any of the big box stores have good deals on lump charcoal?

i dont know of any of the big box stores having deals on lump charcoal but i know Food City is great for cheap cuts of meat and i believe they also sell lump charcoal but am not sure

Jethro I've been buying both Cowboy and Royal Oak brand lump at our Lowes. Also our Wal-Mart carries Royal Oak and Kingsford lump. Haven't tried the Kingsford but the Royal Oak seems to be the best I've used so far. Remember that adding a heat deflector or damper will help in distributing the heat more evenly throughout your cooking chamber. Without one I can promise you that your temps will be a lot higher at the fire box end therefore cooking the meat you have loaded on that end way too fast. Good luck & have fun.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky