any deer hunters here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pike

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
IOWA
I'll show you mine if you show me yours,
icon_smile.gif
thats just not right is it LOL

cross bow hunt and muzzleloader, thats a 17 point buck part mule deer, dressed out (gutted) he bent a 3 inch pipe trying to hang him, he was well over 200 lbs but that was my first kill, got him Dec 1 1979 i was 13-14 yrs old

deer1s.jpg

By null at 2010-02-26

deer2l.jpg

By null at 2010-02-26

thatlittle deer mount was my first mount when i got into taxadermy over 10 yrs ago.

I got my first muley years ago with a Rem. 721 in .270. Never was any good with a bow.
Had it mounted & gave it to my Dad for Christmas. Seemed only right given that it was he that taught me.

i got that one with a 50cal muzzleloader like the one on the wall in the 2nd pic

Well, I sit in the woods a lot. Haven't been successful the last 2 seasons. Fire arms of choice are .308 Winchester Model 100 and Thompson Center .50 cal Thunderhawk muzzle loader.

I normally don't mount mine due to costs, but the latest was at the end of the season this past year and I took this young deer.

dont hunt anymore myself---
we trade baby sitting with son in law and grand kids for deer meat...
son in law gets 1 bow hunting--every year----
his teen sons--[grand kids] 15 and 13 hunt with my lever 300 savage and
my bolt 243-----between the 2 grand kids-
they usually get 1--- i usually buy 2 boxes each of cartridges
my son in law doesnt hunt rifle season---
he watches and guides the boys while they hunt....

my gal's nurse's aid borrows my grinder and my 20 gauge [slugs]---
we get some deer burger on barter for use of grinder and shotgun..
she takes them on her farm--her dad and her process them theirselves...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

i am a lucky man....

When I lived in Ga. I hunted every weekend from the opening of dove season until the end of quail season except for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Most of that hunting was deer hunting. Hunted with bow, muzzle loader, and modern firearms. Have not deer hunted since moving to Fl. 7 years ago. I miss it greatly.

Scott

I deer hunt quite a bit but Fl deer just don't grow like some of those northern states grow them. This year was an off year for me and I only took 3 deer but I didn't really hunt hard and I passed on quite a few deer

Used to hunt with a handmade Flintlock Muzzle loader, then gave it up and took on a real sport. Mantrailing. Not only do you hunt for them, but sometimes they shoot back. No such than a bigger thrill than to get a phone call at 2 am and get shot at.
Now thats sport!!!!!!

Some nice looking racks.. I don't hunt horns very often, but my last Mule deer buck weighed 260 on the hoof.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky