Ants in the wood pile

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Newglide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
NC
So I cut down a few trees and was rotating the wood into my wood pile and as I was moving the old wood to make room I found the old wood is full of ants. These are what I call sugar ants. The little ones not carpenter ants. They have made a home in-between all my logs.
What's the best way to get rid of them? I obviously don't want to spray anything.

Get you some bifen concentrate. Mix in a pump sprayer and spray heavily around the perimeter of your wood pile. Don't spray it on the wood. Hopefully your wood isn't sitting directly on the ground. If it's raised spray underneath as well. Other than that there isn't much I can think of for you to do. Maybe separate the infested wood from the non infested wood

Could hit the live ants with a weed burner for a sec to kill the ants without setting the wood on fire but I'd still treat the area around the pile with bifen
napalm-fire.gif

Could hit the live ants with a weed burner for a sec to kill the ants without setting the wood on fire but I'd still treat the area around the pile with bifenView attachment 643820
That does sound like more fun.
The wood is raised up on cinder blocks.
I can try spraying under and around. I sprayed some stuff under and around this spring. Don't remember what it was. I guess I should do it every couple of months.

Reactions: TNJAKE
That does sound like more fun.
The wood is raised up on cinder blocks.
I can try spraying under and around. I sprayed some stuff under and around this spring. Don't remember what it was. I guess I should do it every couple of months.
Bifen is the generic of talstar. It's what I use around my property as I live in the woods and have lots of bugs. It kills and controls ants, termites and tons of others. You can get it for about $20 and mix it up. Reapply every 2-3 months or anytime you see bugs.

Weed burner is cheap if you don't have one but that will definitely take care of the ants already on the wood

Weed burner is cheap if you don't have one but that will definitely take care of the ants already on the wood
May not be a bad option, I haven't had the chance to get to the store to pick up any bifen. Hope to try it this week and see how that goes.

Why not just place some ant bait traps around the wood pile. they just sit on the ground on can place inside the pile. They are self contained so wont contaminate the wood. Will kill the ants and also they will bring the poison back to the nest and kill them there too. Sell them at all the box stores.

Bifenthrin is a granule that can be spread around the wood pile... I use it on my whole yard to control fire ants... Sounds like it would be about the same thing as the spray Jake is talking about... only it lasts longer... I usually spread about once a year...

Reactions: Newglide and TNJAKE
Bifenthrin is a granule that can be spread around the wood pile... I use it on my whole yard to control fire ants... Sounds like it would be about the same thing as the spray Jake is talking about... only it lasts longer... I usually spread about once a year...
Yeah same stuff different form. I live on 15ac and spray everything that gets mowed. House is in the woods and it really helps with ticks and skeeters as well. Might give the granules a try for the yard and keep spraying around the house. We used to have a terrible piss ant problem in the house every spring. Not any more. We did catch 2 snakes in the house last week though lol
IMG_20220919_170451.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Newglide
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky