Another twist on the 10 Spice Kielbasa Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wurstmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Ok, sounding like a broken record. But here is another play with the 10 Spice Kielbasa recipe. This time I "took my time" (patients is NOT my virtue!) and worked the blend first, rested it for 3 days, stuffed it on the 3rd day, dried it overnight in the fridge, and smoked it all day today. The only changes I made this time was adding 1'2 cup of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier instead of water. The unsmoked version, remains from stuffing, had a different taste with a slight background smoky flavor. As a fresh sausage, the flavor would go good at breakfast, mixed with meatballs, or other combinations, like sausage and eggs. But was lacking that deep smoke flavor I like.

Quick synopsis of today's event. Noting earth shattering in the way of making sausage.

P1 was a thick sausage in the middle of the rack; P2 was a really thin sausage in front near the door. A-MAZ-N was placed on the lowest shelf next to inlet (chip tube),
  • 1000hs - preheat MSB to 160℉ Exhaust@3~3/4 open.
  • 1030hrs - Dry sausage @ 160℉
  • 1050hrs - Start A-MAZ-N 6X6, 2 rows of apple pellets. Fully open upper exhaust vent for remainder of the smoke.
  • 1105h - Good TBS, started time for 9 hours, A-MAZE-N ran flawlessly all day with an almost perfect clear blue thin smoke!
  • Weather changed a lot - cloudy, windy, no clouds, no wind Variations in smoker temp.
  • Graph illustrated when the weather changed and how far the meat dropped in temp.
  • Adjusted meat around 1530 hrs. by increasing the smoker to 175℉ (which ranged 168℉-191℉ depending upon the wind)
  • Sausage remained around 148℉(P1) 146℉(P2)
  • 1600hrs - Raised temp to 180℉ - Full clouds and wind.
  • 1820hrs - P1 Inner sausage hit 154.0℉ Probe 4 was 152.2℉
  • 1825hrs P2 hit 154℉ and started dropping to 153.5℉ due to wind.
  • Smoker off at 1826 hrs. Some pellets still putting out some smoke. Vents are fully open.
  • 1833hrs - Residual heat kicked in - P1 155.6℉(Max for day) & P2 153.6℉ (Max for day) and started immediately dropping.
  • Removed @ 1835hrs to cooling rack.
  • Some fat out, but not a lot when blotted with paper towel.
  • 1/2 of row 2 of pellets did not burn - didn't pack them tight enough in the maze. OOPS?! 🤦‍♂️
Overall, this was a successful day of smoking. Learned more about air flow and temperature variations in a non-insulated smoker. The Inkbird IBBQ-4BW was right on the mark, the graph showed the heating cycle of the MBE unit as well as the weather changes. Did learn the BBQGO DOES NOT save the event, or I just can't find it. I wanted to post the chart so show how good this little unit really is. Did not need the Wi-Fi since the Bluetooth reached all around my work area. Inkbird, could you add a memory keeper (download) for the Bluetooth operatives??

Here are a few photos for your perusal along with a brochure on the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier and brewery. If you can, try this beer out either by drinking it or using it in a recipe. It is really a nice touch.

Thanks for staying with this dissertation! 🍻
John

Aged 3 days.jpg
After 3 days in the fridge - 8-/20 preground pork

Ready for the smoker.jpg
Ready for the smoker after overnight drying

Cooling.jpg
Final product

Attachments

• Aecht_Schlenkerla_Rauchbier_(Schlenkerla_Smokebeer)_an_overview.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
This looks good but, I am not seeing a Recipe and Procedure for the Original10 Spice Kielbasa? I grew up on S & P, Fresh Garlic and Dry Marjoram. I know there are variations with the addition of Mustard Seed, Allspice and a variety of other stuff depending on where, in Poland, the family is from or whom your family learned from. I just never heard of 10 Spice Kielbasa and I'm curious...JJ

This might be what John is making.
http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/polish-kielbasa.html
I've never tried it, but it sounds pretty good to me.
Thank you for the post. That is the one i used, with modifications due to missing ingredients.
ChefJJ -Sorry for not posting the recipe, but I posted it back in Feb and didn’t want to take up space repeating the recipe. Anyway, here is the recipe with my mods in parentheses,

10 Spice Polish Sausage Recipe
5 lbs. boneless pork shoulder (Preground Pork 80/20)
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon fine ground black pepper
1 tablespoon pickling salt Kosher Salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons paprika. (1 tablespoon Smoked/Hot Paprika)
1 teaspoon ground celery seed
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (Oregano/Italian Seasoning)
1 level teaspoon Prague Powder #1 or Instacure #1. (by weight)
1 cup ice water

Hang the sausages in a drafty area and dry for about 4 hours.
Transfer to the smoker and further dry without smoke at around 140F for 20 minutes.
Smoke with a thick smoke for 2 1/2 hours at around 130F - 140F.
Bake with a thin smoke at around 167F - 180F until the internal temperature reaches 154F-158F. I used my air fryer set to 154F till reaching IT after 6hours.🍻
John

Reactions: crazymoon
John and Dan, thank you both. The recipe sounds interesting and very different from what I'm used to...JJ

ChefJJ, SWFLsmkr1

Here is a link to a Polish site dedicated to "cold cut" preparation I use. The site is dedicated to making traditional meats. Here you will find a lot of regional recipes, discussions and training programs however mostly in Polish. Reading shouldn't be too much of an issue with the built-in translators in the various main stream web browsers. Enjoy! 🍻
John

Polish: wedlinydomowe.pl
English: https://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/index.php?sid=9f19ce5770eb974bbfde7de0db4c4856

Reactions: chef jimmyj
WM, Your recipe looks delicious!
Thanks for the Like and comment. They are really appreciated. I like to do variations on a theme and change up one or two elements of the recipe. Next time I make it, I'm going to add a touch of Schaschlik sauce. A type of German BBQ red pepper/curry sauce used in shish kabob or Schaschliks. 🍻
John

I like / need to make a recipe / formula as written a couple of times before I start tweaking it. You have to know you made the formula correctly and then make changes to suit your self. Safer that way. Baker taught me that idea, when I wanted to change or make short-cuts -- do it as written first, and then you can understand your short-cuts and tweaks. Just my two cents

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky