Another Sourdough experiment..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good afternoon!
I've been using a starter with 50/50 bread flour and white whole wheat and wanted to try a starter with AP only.
elmo.jpg
I also wanted to try something besides the 80/20 mix of bread flour and white whole wheat I've been using for the dough, so I went with bread flour and self rising flour (also 80/20).
As long as I was experimenting I added some Italian Spice mix to the dough.
seasoning.jpg mix.jpg
Sorry, no pics of the proofing, but instead of the overnight in the fridge I let the baskets sit in the garage. It got down to 1F last night and even with a heat vent in the garage it was 50 all night.
Thought it might save me letting it warm up and rise the next morning. I still had to let it warm a bit but not long.
Ready to go: ready.jpg
done.jpg And done.
I was afraid it had settled a bit too much but it puffed right up in the oven.
both.jpg closeup.jpg
Not the bigger holes like regular sourbread but soft and tasty. The Italian seasoning was there but next time I'll add a tad more.
I'm calling it a success!
Thanks for looking, keep trying new things, and bake on!
Dan

Those holes look perfect to me!.. That is a very good looking loaf. If you like rye need to give Al's wife Judy a go. It's a hybrid that uses a lot of starter and instant yeast also. Really good bread and ready in few hours.
Thanks, Brian! I liked your post about it and would love to do some Rye and gosh knows I'm blessed with starters but the Mrs won't touch it and I can only eat so much myself LOL!
I'm thinking my next "excursion" will be Focaccia.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
Thanks, Brian! I liked your post about it and would love to do some Rye and gosh knows I'm blessed with starters but the Mrs won't touch it and I can only eat so much myself LOL!
I'm thinking my next "excursion" will be Focaccia.
I know what you mean. I been eating on that last loaf for a month now and still have some left. Only eat bread on weekends.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
Looks really good! And you can't beat any warm, fresh baked bread! The taste or smell. But you went and cut the side of my soup bowl off! Lol! Been wanting to try that...making bread bowls that is

Ryan

Looks really good! And you can't beat any warm, fresh baked bread! The taste or smell. But you went and cut the side of my soup bowl off! Lol! Been wanting to try that...making bread bowls that is

Ryan
LOL! If you hollowed these out they would make good bowls with the hard crusts.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky